UPDATE: New Marineland VisiTherm Heaters Failing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
for me its any new marineland...the regulars, stealth or pro. Ones i have had running for years are fine. The new ones all fry or are totally and wildly innacurate.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I have a Visi-Therm Stealth...Amateur I guess, as it doesn't say "Pro" on it anywhere.
Package claims it was made in Italy and iirc folks here say the non-Pro, Italian-made models tend to be better? At least nobody has frozen or cooked...yet... :(

No idea if it works or not as it doesn't have any sort of indicator light. I'm gonna guess "not" though as it is set on about 78 and the tank thermometer reads 70.

Am wishing now I would have just gotten another Tetra Whisper 5-10, which I have in my other 10g and works fine. And has a comforting little orange light to tell me it's working fine. When I get around to hauling back to the lfs where I got the Visi-T I will try for whatever the group here suggests is more reliable.

MGDMIRAGE

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I have a stealth pro and it's also 4-5 degrees off i was pretty ticked.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
oh crap! I just ordered/received 4 visitherm deluxes from big als (along with their special on ac70's) cuz my pro split a gut when I did w/c & it was exposed for a minute or so (suppose to have auto shut off, but guess being so hot then exposed to air it got mad & blew itself up!")

so running v-dx 300w (now they are made in china & now 16" it's huge!) so far it's holding on with my other 300w made in italy 14" in my 72gal tank

keeping my fingers crossed they don't blitz out on me since I work & would hate to see my discus boiled!

sorry to hear of your mis fortune. it seems so many of us are having issues with marineland products.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Just spoke with representatives from Marineland. I explained that I was always pleased with the accuracy and reliability of the VisiTherms, and I chose them over stealths because I wanted to see the red indicator light on in my discus tank from across the room. The heaters had always been rock solid reliable for me over the years. The customer service rep I was first connected with did the job she was supposed to do and told me their policy is no refunds, but to replace either with the same item or the value of that item towards any of their other products. I explained that I wanted to speak with a manager, I was afraid to continue to use these new heaters. The tank that took a 10 degree downward plunge has my breeding plecos in it. They cannot be replaced if I lose them, nobody sells adult L144's.

The customer service rep was aware that the heaters were being "trashed" on the internet and that they've actually had very few issues.
I would like to request anyone posting about the failures of these heaters in the future do so respectfully and state the facts. We've never condoned trashing any company or store.

The manager I spoke with was very nice to talk with and understanding of the distrust I now personally have for using the heaters in my tanks. She mentioned that although people may talk that something is wrong with the heaters, they actually get very, very few heaters back. So they are not seeing any evidence to support that there are a high number of heater problems. So if there are truly problems with your heaters, I urge you to go through the store you purchased them from and get them replaced so that Marineland can gather evidence of any problems. The place you purchase the heaters will then send them back to Marineland. At a minimum, send their customer service a letter to document the issues, even if it is only the fact that your heater is 4 degrees off on accuracy. They cannot resolve or fix a problem merely because a handful of people claim to be having a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store