Updated ten gallon pics.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
mogurnda said:
Corrie, the tank looks awesome. Makes me miss my old 20 reef.

What do you think finally cured the hair algae problem?
Well, I quit using tap water and starting doing water changes every week. I also utilized phosguard. I kept putting snails and ect in there but they would eat it so I realized I had to pull most by hand and then they would eat it. It was eight months of hell but I beat it.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I've been dealing with the same problem in my 90. Always used RO, but have started using PhosBan as well. The hand scrubbing, snails, tang and lawnmower blenny are working, but I haven't quite won yet.

The funny thing is that my nitrate and phosphate levels were always higher in the 20, but I never had a hair algae problem in 3 years.

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
mogurnda said:
I've been dealing with the same problem in my 90. Always used RO, but have started using PhosBan as well. The hand scrubbing, snails, tang and lawnmower blenny are working, but I haven't quite won yet.

The funny thing is that my nitrate and phosphate levels were always higher in the 20, but I never had a hair algae problem in 3 years.
Wonder if your dsb is starting to break down or something else is breaking down.Any new substrate?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I just set the tank up last August. I think my mistake was using a lot of sand from the old tank to seed the fuge. Probably carried a lot of nutrients with it.

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
mogurnda said:
I just set the tank up last August. I think my mistake was using a lot of sand from the old tank to seed the fuge. Probably carried a lot of nutrients with it.
Yeah, sounds like it.Where are you getting your water and have they run a tds lately? I tell yeah another trick to have a sandbed/dsb is having one or two cucumbers as they eat all the waste and recycle the sand.Great critters.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
My cucumber kept migrating to the sump, so I finally left it there. Seems quite happy.

The RO water is from my home system, and I keep forgetting to bring a sample to work to test the TDS.

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
mogurnda said:
My cucumber kept migrating to the sump, so I finally left it there. Seems quite happy.

The RO water is from my home system, and I keep forgetting to bring a sample to work to test the TDS.

Wonder if you have any sponges or anything in your hob that may be causing it.

camshaft

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
Wow, never seen a 10g like that before. Sorry for the newbie question but what kind of anemone is that green one? I think you referred to it as a gsps????

Thanks,
Austin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store