upgrading 5g to 10g.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
There's all kinds of options for something as small as a 10g. 10s are cheap and hoods, stands, hardware are easy to source. Like said, a male betta and some pygmy cories or nano fish. Some scarlet badis. A bunch of celestial pearl danios, a group of female bettas, etc... The list goes on. Would most of us suggest a 10g as a starter tank? Probably not. 20L and up.
She's not a noob... she's a professional!

and I was joking about not stopping. Personally I wouldn't do a 15, just because they're not that common, I'd go with a 20H, same footprint, and cheaper to get than a 15. all other accessories would be the same, except filter, and great deals can be had on filters.. so would be, IMO< the most cost effective way forward.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I can get a 15 gallon from work and get a decent price on it. I already have a standard 20H and don't want another 20. I have a filter already cycled and a light(from the 37g, replacing with a better light), just need a heater, sand and more plants and driftwood.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I have a Quietflow 20 I can put on the 15g, thats been fully cycled and been running on my 37g.

Stock wise I was thinking:
1 halfmoon plakat male(great with small fish, doesn't bother them)
8-12 Pygmy Cories (very tiny)
1-2 Dwarf Orange Mexican Crayfish
6-8 Harlequin Rasboras

A bit much? Or is it fine? I do 25% w/c weekly on all my tanks.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
you have dwarf orange crayfish?i have a quick question.do they ever cause any problems to your other inhabitants?i am considering getting a few.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
Dwarf Orange Crays don't eat plants or fish, and they grow up to 2.5 inches. But are hard to spot sometimes. I might grab the three that I have at work and keep them in my 20g till then.

The stocking is my idea, dont have the tank yet. Going to put it together slowly.
I'm putting the 5g into storage for now or see if anyone wants it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Are they harlequins or espeis? Harlequin rasboras need more space than a 15g IMHO, even espeis don't really stay much smaller IME but they might work so long as the betta is ok with them. I'd also cut down to maybe 6-8 dwarf corys, although I do not know how compatible they are with dwarf crays. The species typically labeled as "dwarf" only max out at 1-1.5".

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
The pygmy cories are tiny, less then an inch, that's why I thought out 8-12 of them. I might do 6-8 Purple Emperor Tetras/Kerri Tetras, I have 4 in my 37 and I love their colors, instead of the rasboras. The betta is very calm in nature and won't even bother the pygmy cories that are with him in the 5 gallon. I tend to over stock, but I keep up with weekly W/C of 25% on all tanks.

But does this sound better:
1 male betta
6-10 Pygmy corydoras
6-8 KErri Tetras
1-2 Dwarf Orange crayfish (They do not eat fish or plants)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store