URGENT - betta is dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
We're back, and amazingly, he's still alive - but just barely. He was hanging out on his favorite leaf when we got back, and swam over to greet us. I thought he'd made a remarkable recovery, but now he's back on the bottom of his tank on his side, still gasping.

I'm going to do a water change just as soon as my husband gets back with some new Prime, but don't know what else to do. Now I'm not so sure that it is a lack of oxygen in the tank, but I asked my husband to pick up an air stone as well. Do you think I should put it in - or can I give him too much oxygen (2.5 gallon tank)? The water level is low enough that the filter has a slight waterfall effect, so I should think the water already has enough oxygen in it, but gah - I'm flying blind here.

Also, I fed him 1 pellet when we got home when he came up for air, but maybe I should hold off on another? He last ate 2 pellets Thurs morning.
no, water can only hold so much O2 anyways...I honestly don't think lack of oxygen is the problem here. Unfortunately I got nothing esle as your params are fine and he's eating.

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Gah! I'm so frustrated!

He had pooped while we were away - brown and regular. He looks a bit thinner, but I don't see any evidence of parasites, at least at this point. His color is good, and he eagerly ate that one pellet. He's just gasping, and his gills are flaring. He swims to the top, gulps, and then swims to the bottom. He seems to have lost a little control while swimming back to the bottom, but he's not free-falling. But his balance does seem to be off.

No bloating, no pineconing. I'm in the midst of a water change, and apparently can't use the stupid air stone. Any ideas what else I can do, or what is wrong?

I really appreciate all your help!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I hope your Betta will be OK. Can you take a pic of him so we can see him. Does he have any redness or streaks? Any difference at all to the appearance of his body?

Last edited:

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
I'll try to get pix, but my camera isn't very good and he keeps wedging himself behind his cave, or down in the marbles, etc. When he does swim to the top, it's fairly quick, so i barely have time to look at him before he's down again.

I don't see any streaking, nor any discoloration.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
To you guys who have more experience... is it possible he has some kind of parasite in his gills? Gill flukes or something like that? Would the addition of salt help him; improve his oxygen uptake, or even help kill a parasite in his gills?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Does it look like he has any fraying of his dorsal fin? I can't tell from the pic. Is it possible he has fin rot, which, I have learned, could also mean he perhaps has an internal infection as well?

I'm a newbie and not knowlegeable in fish diseases, but I have had a lot of help and input from the experienced fishkeepers here. I had a problem with fin rot in a guppy that had other problems as well. I hope someone can help.

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
No, his fins are in great shape. I can't figure this out, and I'm so incredibly frustrated. I really do appreciate everyone's support and help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store