URGENT - betta is dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
this might be a stupid question, but how long have you had your betta? he may be suffering from old age?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Earlier in the thread, first page maybe, she says that he's only four or five months old.

Ponyta

AC Members
Dec 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Is he still bottom sitting and gasping? You could try prazi if you suspect flukes (can cause bottom sitting, gasping, and spitting out of food) :confused:..its pretty gentle so its ok as a preventative too. Maybe increasing the temp could help? It helped one of mine who started to tip over in his cup when I bought him..
I dunno what else to say that could help..it sucks when fish get sick. Keep hanging in there and let us know how he's doing :)

marbilus

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
if he starts struggling to breathe you might want to decrease the water level and increase the heat. oxygen saturation will suffer in warmer water but that won't matter as much if he can get to the top more easily.

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Well, he's looking better - more active, more swimming around. He's still having trouble eating, though. He was able to eat one tiny pellet today, but the rest (still really small), he spits out, tries to re-eat, then spits out again. If a fish could look discouraged, he does. He will not eat flake food, no matter how finely I crush it.

He looks noticeably thinner, and I'm wondering if maybe he does have a parasite or something. I haven't noticed any other signs - his gills are not red, no streaking. No white stringy poo. Earlier today I noticed something white in one of his gills, but it was not protruding. I can't see it anymore - no idea what it was. He doesn't seem to be able to open his mouth widely anymore. And he's still gasping, although he's no longer keeling over. I'm really baffled. What's prazi? I did buy some Jungle medicated food today, but haven't given it to him. I don't want to start doing stuff willy-nilly, but again, I really don't know what's wrong with him.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
How's your Betta today?

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
He's about the same, although less active again. Thanks for asking.

He can't eat pellets anymore, but I've been able to get some tiny frozen bloodworms into him. He can't seem to open his mouth very much - like he has fish lockjaw. He's visibly thinner, but I still can't see any signs of parasites (although I've never experienced parasites before). Nothing protruding or hanging, no flashing. But his gills are still flaring, and he's still very lethargic. Just not the same fish he was a week ago.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I would feed him a pea if I were you like someone suggested earlier, it may help. You can buy canned peas, just make sure they're plain and unsalted. Just take a pea, remove the shell and squish a little bit of it to put in the water for him. Bettas can get easily constipated, and although his problem may not be constipation, it may help for him to have a little bit of veggie.

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
I would feed him a pea if I were you like someone suggested earlier, it may help. You can buy canned peas, just make sure they're plain and unsalted. Just take a pea, remove the shell and squish a little bit of it to put in the water for him. Bettas can get easily constipated, and although his problem may not be constipation, it may help for him to have a little bit of veggie.
I had tried some peas previously, but he wouldn't take them. I just tried again, and he did eat some this time. We'll see what happens!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'm pulling for your Betta. He's got a good, caring, friend in you.
Do you have a vet that you use for your animals? cat, dog, etc.

Maybe you could call the office and get some input if you describe his jaw problem. Just a thought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store