URGENT: Betta needs help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
I'm sure he's already much happier. I hope he pulls thru for you. Good luck; I've got my fingers crossed for you!

serissime

second-guessing
Nov 24, 2008
I wouldn't do the salt. Salt used to be the go-to thing for bettas but now many betta keepers agree that it is mostly just irritating to them. I've never seen improvement with salt, so I don't use it anymore. I think you're doing all you can right now. You also don't want to complicate the treatment by adding another. Anyways... good luck! My bettas send jingles your way (Is it only horse people that say jingles? lol)

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone!! :) I'll skip the salt and keep up with the maracyn. I'm surprised at how active he is, I think it's the extra space and cleaner water. The environment he came in was really horrific, and it's not perfect now but it's getting there. I'll be doing 2-3 water changes per day, and I'll update later... is there anything else I can do for him at this point?

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
If there is any possibility that it is only constipation you can feed him a cooked shelled pea cut into little pieces. The Betta should not be fed anything else that day. after 1 day of this treatment go back to feeding him as usual. I would use this treatment even if you don't think it is constipation because it can't hurt and might just help;). Hope this helps.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
if it works just continue with what u r doing. you can overmedicate. later, if dropsy doesn't go away, go with treatment of maracyn-two. that's my fave. clean water will be agreat thing. often, that's all that's needed

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Ya are u sure he isn't bloated from eating too much. If its dropsy he probably won't survive. And he will be swimming around in weird ways. I would put a drop or two of prime in the water and slowly add new water. Only meds I've had successful with bettas is metholyn blue, I'm not sure if you can even buy that stuff anymore. I've never cured dropsy.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
I just changed his water and dosed meds (maracyn 2), so I'm waiting a few minutes until he's calmed down from the water change to feed him the pea. I haven't fed him this morning so he's "ready". I took out a bunch of rotting food and poop already so his water's getting cleaner every day. So far he seems like a trooper, so we'll just hope he pulls through.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
keep us posted..... i'm rootin for the little guy!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
Well, I couldn't get him to eat any of the pea, he just played with it and then ignored the rest... is there anything else I could do in place of that? The bowl is almost all the way clean now, which really just means that when I pour water back in it doesn't rain waste on his head, lol. I can't really tell if he's showing any reduction in swelling, but he remains active and as soon as I started to clean the water he got a lot of color back. I'll try to get a pic of him soon :) More updates later!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store