Urgent Help Needed: Angelfish Attacking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
as allready stated, you need more tanks. congratulations on the spawning(s). you will have a lot of work on your hands

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
that explains the agression. a spawning pair.
they will spawn about e very two weeks.
keep an eye on the eggs.. it'll take about 3-4 days to hatch then wigglers(unless the eggs turn white)

my domestic wild pair have just started spawning agina and keep eating the fry at about 4 days after becoming freeswimmers.
I'm going to pull the fry on the next batch.
oddly this pair only spawns about 1 xmonth unlike most angels.

Tolak

AC Members
Aug 18, 2007
Chicago, Il
You should really consider what you are going to do with all these angels once they get sellable size. Many shops will say they will take them, when you are first starting out you will be lucky if 1 out of 3 come through. A small spawn will give you 200 fry, larger ones are 500+. You either need to cull heavily, or get some serious tank space going.

Remember, a tank doesn't have to be a glass enclosure, I have a couple of 150 gallon commercial Rubbermaid livestock troughts running for angel growout, with a few empties in the garage. These are the cheapest, most durable non-tanks I have ever seen, they are made to be kicked by cattle, and cost less than $1 per gallon. The smallest size most shops will take angels is dime body size, you need 1/2 gallon per angel for this size, 1 gallon per angel for nickel size. Try to pack them in much more and you will have chopped dorsals & deformed ventrals. This means hundreds of small feeders.

I've been breeding angels for years, 20+ tanks, 850+ gallons running atm. I have another 600+ gallons in empties, auction & swap season is just starting up, most of those will be filled come January. Check out the angelfish microhatchery site for the bare minimum you need for properly raising spawns from one pair.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
that is absoulutly briliant! you just gave me an idea of how to grow thousands and thousands of cherry shrimp!!!

Tolak

AC Members
Aug 18, 2007
Chicago, Il
The two tubs are on the basement floor, on top of a couple of wooden skid tops. The skid tops help prevent heat loss through the cold concrete. Light diffuser panels are cheap tops, box & sponge filters are all that is needed, provided you have enough pump to run at that depth.

DSC01674-1.jpg

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
do they make 50 gallon feed troughts? iff they did then i might get a few and start raising different shrimp and use a big one for a pair of frontosa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store