URGENT: Shark's skin coming off/infected?? Help please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Dano - Get the Cichlid out asap.

You really need to get him into a hospital tank. Bactira in the substrate of your current tank can cause infection. He needs to be in a sterile invironment. If you have the money, go get a 30 gallon tank- it doesnt need to be large- def. get the cichlid out right now, and see if you cant get a tank for him to heal up in.

When did you do your last waterchange? You should do a 60-70% waterchange after you take the cichlid out. If you cant get a tank for him to hospital in, at least do the HUGE daily waterchanges. (Although for the best chance of survival- you need another tank)

If you need help getting the hospital set up, you can PM me for my cell. I'll walk you through it either by phone or this thread. I've noted the basics at on my first post, let me know if you can go buy a tank for him.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Yes get him out. Vader is right on no salt. Think about how salt feels on your wounds. Just dont do salt. Your sick fish needs to be in a tank by himself, and if you can stretch it you NEED to get him a new tank with no substrate.

His chances of survival in a steril environment are 10 times higher than keeping him in the tank he is right now.

Danomind

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
USA
At this time, there is no reason to suspect an ingection/fungal proceess. The specimen has been physically beaten up and needs extra clean water. Make sure that all changed water is dechlored and temp matched (Prime is perfect). These kind of injuries CAN lead to infection/fungal infections but there is no reason to initiate treatment for a condition that is not yet present.
The fish has been bitten around 7 days ago, whilst the wound has been getting bigger and bigger, spreading ALL around it's head...It's head is now breaking off/skin coming off, so is this a sign of infection of wound?

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Dano - Get the Cichlid out asap.

You really need to get him into a hospital tank. Bactira in the substrate of your current tank can cause infection. He needs to be in a sterile invironment. If you have the money, go get a 30 gallon tank- it doesnt need to be large- def. get the cichlid out right now, and see if you cant get a tank for him to heal up in.

When did you do your last waterchange? You should do a 60-70% waterchange after you take the cichlid out. If you cant get a tank for him to hospital in, at least do the HUGE daily waterchanges. (Although for the best chance of survival- you need another tank)

If you need help getting the hospital set up, you can PM me for my cell. I'll walk you through it either by phone or this thread. I've noted the basics at on my first post, let me know if you can go buy a tank for him.
Agree. Now is the time for a 30 gallon tank hospital purchase if you want to save him. Very generous offer, Viva. ~75% water changes daily will do nothing but help him.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
The fish has been bitten around 7 days ago, whilst the wound has been getting bigger and bigger, spreading ALL around it's head...It's head is now breaking off/skin coming off, so is this a sign of infection of wound?
Hmmm can you get a picture? If it was 7 days ago and blistering in appearance/white it could b columnaris. Is it fuzzy in appearance?

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Thats 7 days of the cichlid eating your shark. I think the wounds are worse than they would be due to the cichlid picking on him.

Danomind

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
USA
Can I remove the fishes in my big tank and leave the shark? THAT can be its hospital tank...would that work? Sorry I'm new and very not experienced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store