Very new guy with new tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WoodRight

New 75 gal not set up yet.
Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Yeah I have read the "Sticky". That is were this all started from. By the way, what dose Sticky mean.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sticky means that the thread has been modified so that it will remain at the top of the page even when newer threads are started.

I also recommend the pure ammonia cycle.

On the sand, yes some do that, but personally I prefer the look of the marine aragonite available.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I'll give you a third vote for the pure ammonia cycle. It worked very well for me like Clown said and I had a textbook cycle...I think it took three weeks. But I have no experience with other methods.
I also rinsed my aragonite in a pillow case before I put it in.
Robbie

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
When I first started in marine I cycled my tank with just the live rock and sand. It took 8 weeks!!! My second tank I cycled with a couple of frozen prawns. It took 3 weeks.

It's just about giving the cycle a kick start but not cutting corners.

I'm on my 5th tank now and not once have I rinsed my sand!

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Hey guys thanks alot for the replies. This is helping alot. I'm not sure what aragonite is. Can you guys let me know? Like I said I'm very new to this SW thing. I hope I'm not asking stuped questions. Thanks again for the help. :O)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
aragonite is sand that helps to buffer your system

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
I see thank for the reply. :O)

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I also rinsed my aragonite in a pillow case before I put it in.
AHHH pure genius. I am not even going to say how I rinsed my sand lol. Very handy tidbit indeed.

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Ok I have a few more questions for you guys. I'm trying to get a list of the things I need to get my 75gal tank up and cycleing. I have the wet/dry built and ready for LR and LS. The tank has a MegaFlow setup in it. I also plan on getting a skimmer down the road but don't have a clue about them. Also need some heater ideas. I looked at my LFS and didn't see any that were big enough to handle a 75gal tank. I also read somewhere that it was a good idea to have 2 smaller ones so if something happened to 1 the other could take over. Now I would like to have it in my Wet/Dry. So please any ideas on that would be great also. Thanks again everyone. THis site is helping alot.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Personally I prefer the visitherm stealth heaters.. For a couple of reasons. They are plastic not glass, and they shut off if out of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store