Very new guy with new tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WoodRight

New 75 gal not set up yet.
Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Also I was told by my LFS that I would need a Mag Drive 9.5 to pump from my Wet/Dry to the main tank. Dose this sound like a good choice in pumps for my tank?

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
I like that idea about the shut off thing. are thay sub or hang on the side of the tank?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have a mag 9.5 on my 75 gallon and it does a great job. Some people say they get hot and cause your system temperature to raise. Since its what came with my system when I bought it used I have stayed with it for now. The mag is completely submersible but realize that its return with no head loss is 950 gph and it calculates out in my tank to be about 800 gph at the outlet which is why I placed a t splice in mine and put the overflow back into my refugium. Since you have a wet dry I don't know what your capabilities are going to be to do the same thing as I'm pretty sure your pump will also over drive your overflow.

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Ok what is the diffrence between a Wet/Dry and a refugium? Also is it posible to put an inline valve after the 9.5 and befor the the main tank to adjust the flow?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
OK so here is an article about wet dry filters. Here is an article on how wet dry filters work.. http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/filtration/a/aa090298.htm But a wet dry filter is basically just a large mechanical filtration device, the water goes through floss which then goes over bio-balls (this is a whole area of contention in todays reef keeping world) or live rock rubble which is then collected in area and returned to the tank.

A refugium is a biological filtration area, it is normally part of sump system and again normally contains live sand, live rock and macro algae's that are used for waste conversion/denitrification/nutrient export.

As far as putting a valve to restrict the flow from the pump I wouldn't for anything other than emergency water shut off. It will make your pump work harder, make it heat up more and shorten its lifespan. If you can T it off after it pumps out and then put like a ball valve there to adjust the flow going into the t vs back to your tank and equalize the flow rate. I have a valve on mine going to the tank but like I said its for emergencies only, otherwise it stays completely open.

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
So I can just send the exstra water flow to my wet/dry? Also I was planing on useing LR in the trickle chamber of the wet/dry and LS in the bottom of the center chamber befor the pump chamber. Dose this sound like a good idea?

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Here's what I got so far!

Here is the short list of what I got so far everyone. I know it dosen't look like much but it's gunna be great when it's up and runnin.

Picture 005.jpg Picture 006.jpg Picture 007.jpg Picture 008.jpg Picture 009.jpg

cullyisgully

salt water ffeen
Jan 24, 2007
Queens, New York
we need more pics of the tank when it is up and when you do step by step... to help us with the tank.... pics of the light and were you going to put the tank... and live rock

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
Oh I will don't worry.

WoodRight

Jan 18, 2008
Watertown,CT
I went to another LFS to check it out today. It was nothing to rave about. The tanks were durty and the corls didn't look very good. I wanted to see what they were charging for a Mag Drive Pump. There out of there minds. Thay wanted $140.00. I saw it on the net for like $89.00.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store