Victorian cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Is there any risk of interbreeding with these two (or other) species of Victorians? I'm just getting back into the hobby after a long absence from the country and the Vics have always been my favorites. I'd love to put together a very large Vic community tank, but I'm concerned about hybridization. I feel that it is our responsibility as the keepers of endangered fish to produce viable offspring only, so as to keep the species strong. Is it doable? Could I only put certain species together, say, if they were all of a different genus?

Excellent question!

In most Victorian species, the silver coloration is similar in all of the females. The reason I have Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga Flamebacks" mixed with Paralabidochromis chromogynos is that while the "Flamebacks" do have females with the standard silver coloration, the Chromogynos are piebald, both male and female.

I will say that over the long term, I don't believe this particular mix is going to work; not because of hybridization issues, but because the male P. Chromogynos is very aggressive, and will take over a large portion of the tank. This is keeping the "Kyoga Flamebacks" in check, and mostly in hiding.

I do suggest species tanks for Victorians. They can hybridize fairly easily, given that the females look so similar.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
hmm, oh well. Species tanks it is, then. When I get settled, I'll probably ask you if I can buy some of your P Chromogynos, since I've wanted to have a colony of them for years now.

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
hmm, oh well. Species tanks it is, then. When I get settled, I'll probably ask you if I can buy some of your P Chromogynos, since I've wanted to have a colony of them for years now.

It may be a while before I am breeding P. chromogynos in any number. My colony whittled itself down to 4 males and 2 females, with a male dying almost every day. I gave 1 male and the 2 females to another hobbyist, and have a couple of single males in other tanks, which I'm going to have to change. This is where I am seeing the behavior problems, the one lone male is also ruling the Mbipia cf. Lutea tank, which are a rather aggressive species in its own right.

I have some tiny fry I am growing out, about 15 of them to build a new colony, with a 1 inch male separated as well. I hope I can get good numbers, because I keep hearing how male heavy the spawns tend to be.

1974Pantera

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
San Carlos, Ca.
Cguarino,

If I can chime in here.......I have had success having mixed Vic tanks in the past but without any females. Most Vics in my experience are not "free swimmers" like Mbuna and as long as you have plenty of rocks/pots/slate spread or stacked throughout the tank, you should be able to keep many different species of Vic all under the same lights. The sp.44 is probably the most difficult Vic to keep with other Vics, they are extremely aggresive. Introducing the new Vics to an established tank is always difficult so I made my own dividers, isolating the new guys and allowing them to establish some territory within the boundries of the dividers, usually picking one end of the tank. I will also completely rearrange all the real estate in the entire tank. I have suffered very few losses over all the yrs. A "boss" will emerge at some point and I keep a keen eye on him. If he becomes too aggressive, he goes to another tank for a "time out" for awhile and then I try to re-introduce him back into the tank.

1974Pantera

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
San Carlos, Ca.
Here are three Vics (2RG's with a PN in the middle) in very close proximity in my 40g :

1974Pantera

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
San Carlos, Ca.
Thank you Viva!

Still trying to get the elusive shot of one of those RG exhibiting their true color. I need some ladies!

I posted this pic to document that multiple males of different species can live in harmony in pretty cramped quarters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store