want to switch to a cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Yep...and the nitrites should be managed below .25 ppm anyway, with fish in the tank.

Mbuna are hardy fish...but severey intolerant of ammonia & nitrites, and elevated nitrates too.

If you get crushed coral make sure it is a fine, rounded grain - some of it comes with oyster shell type fragments and is sharp and coarse. These fish love to sift the substrate and sharp edges can injure them.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Hey, I definitely agree with most of the advice you've already heard, but I just gotta throw this out there as a species tank... Pseudotropheus saulosi would look fantastic in there, and since they stay smaller than a lot of other mbuna species, you could have a nice-sized colony going in there. I've always wanted to keep them but never had a place to put them. Here is an article if you are interested:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_saulosi.php

IMO the colors would really pop with dark substrate and limestone (holey rock especially) decor. As you can see from the article, the differences in coloration between males and females are quite striking. :)

As for the buffer, I'd probably skip it; you'll need to use it every time you change water otherwise. Then again, I'm not one to mess with water chemistry so I'm sure you'll find some differing opinions there. The Emperor you already have is just fine for a cichlid tank, and if you add another one or a canister, you'll be good to go on filtration. It's possible to run a 55 with just one Emperor, but due to the heavier-than-average stocking that most people do for an African tank, I wouldn't recommend it.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah don't mess with those buffers unless necessary even then i wouldn't mess with them if you put in too much you will wipe your fish out due to the quick raise in PH another possibility for substrate is the Caribsea sands for Marine setups work just fine a little more spendy than pool filter sand but i like the Indo Pacific blends of white and black and looks good in an African setup plus its a natural buffer..

1974Pantera

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
San Carlos, Ca.
I have to disagree. Some species of Victorians have higher aggression, but some are not quite as bad. This generalization is similar to saying all mbuna are massively aggressive, which is not true.

I keep a few (like 10) tanks of Victorians, and while some do have aggression problems, most are within reasonable ranges...like keeping a species tank of yellow labs. There will be some chasing, and fighting at times, but nothing that can't be addressed with proper stocking levels.

Mbuna are much easier to locate, that is very true. For a first cichlid tank, I think you are on the right track with the species you are selecting.
Barbara,

Glad you addressed the "massive aggression" issue. As you point out, it simply isn't true and I loath these type of generalizations. I have kept Victorians for over 20yrs as you know and have had mixed lake tanks just as long. Every lake has their "bad boys" but with proper stocking levels as you point out and frequent WC's, you will have a successful and enjoyable tank.

Another misnomer with Victorians is that they are not hardy fish. I've had my experiences with big fluctuations of both temp and ph and they have all survived. They are not tolerant of high nitrate levels and prefer a sand substrate like their natural environment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store