want to switch to a cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Its fine but you probably don't need it.

What is your present stocking ?

When are you adding the malawis ?

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
Its fine but you probably don't need it.

What is your present stocking ?

When are you adding the malawis ?

right now my tank is full of mollies, platies, swordtails, guppies, 3 rummynose tetras, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 pleco, 2 skunk cories, some apple snails, and an unidentified catfish.

i was looking to add the malawis whenever possible.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
wait until you register zero nitrites. Nitrites are arguably more toxic than ammonia.
I'd do what AC suggested above, and in the meantime you might wanna pick up a small bag of crushed coral and stick some of it in your filter, that'll buffer the kh, gh along with ph and make the water params stable enough to not have to use buffering chemicals.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Hey Ib3ak - good to see you back around the site :D

Ch47 - you'll have to move out your current stock and move in some malawis the same day, or your bacteria will begin to die off; that or feed the bacteria (some fish food...source of pure ammonia alternatively).

You probably want to do something like move out current stock to wherever they are going and on the same day introduce one group of your mbuna - the least aggressive. Then add each successive group a week to ten days later when you have verified that the bio filter has caught up.

As Ib3ak says, using substrate to buffer Ph is better than adding chemicals.

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
thanks for all the info. one last thing - is aeration an issue or dont really need it?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
yeah but you cant beat the look of Texas holey rock it makes a tank pop i know its a little spendy but wow does it look good..

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
thanks for all the info. one last thing - is aeration an issue or dont really need it?
You always want some aerating effect.

Easiest is to place filter outlets so as to ripple the surface of the water, use a spraybar something like that - not hard at all.

I agree with Pitbull on the Holey Rock - well worth the money.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I'd have to agree with the two Colers. I don't use aerators except on tanks where extra oxygen is needed ( i.e. when elevating tank temps to treat for disease ). Most often the water movement caused by the filtration is enough.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
You can buy crushed coral at your local hardware store. Basically a bag of crushed shell. Mix this in with your choice of sand ( pool filter sand with black moon sand turns out nice ). This is fairly cheap and will buffer your water to where you'd be fine. Chemical additives are difficult to manage and can cause rapid swings in your pH which is worse than having a steady, albeit not ideal pH.
A higher hardness level ( which crushed coral/ limestone, etc. ), will help keep the pH stable and the upper 7's are fine for Mbuna.
My concern is your nitrites. How old is the tank? You're nearly through the cycle but I would still wait until you hit zero before making the switch. Mbuna are messy, and will add an extra bio-load to your tank right away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store