Water Change long overdue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
I think I'm going to try the kole tang like suggested, thanks SHK_ATK, and move the urchin to the sump, yup I read a thread you posted Niko with your opinion of them.

Cheers,

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
yup I read a thread you posted Niko with your opinion of them.

Cheers,
He he he he he....i shall say no more then on that.....lol....

With regards to the hair algae in the sump, if its bryopsis, tangs and the such wont touch it...i learn that one pretty quickly indeed...Have been informed by many that seahare's are a good way to control this, however, for me they are very touch and go and getting the species to achieve this would be a harder task still as they are commonly sold under the wrong name....

Niko

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Ok, several things:

If your hair is bryopsis, some people have been having a really good experience by raising their magnesium up to ~1600 with Kent Tech M. Apparently it reacts with something in the plant and inhibits photosynthesis or somesuch. I can grab a link to a few threads on that, if you'd like.

If you really want to get rid of the hair, your best bet probably isn't critters, it's actually water changes. Ha. Your params, like stated before, can be around 0 because the hair is just eating all the stuff in the water.

I've got hair in my tank, too, and i'm just trying to keep my water clean and (recently) switched to ro/di, which i wasn't using before.

Anyway, my two bits....

Tank looks awesome, though. I do like the lawn, as long as it stays short.

:)

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
I've got high nitrates and no algae, think i need some of your bryopsis.
The key to it all must be a happy medium. If you did water changes the algae would be starved of nutrients and probably cause you other probs when dying off so your way works for you.
If your sand bed works now what problems can you see in the future? (Timebomb)

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Oh well.. I was just about to take a pic of the tank, but the mh's just went out... still no water change.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Still going without the water change... the sump is something else, there are literally hundreds for snails that have appeared from now where, ranging in size from .5mm - 3mm, lots of what appear to be tiny bristle worms, about 10mm in length, and masses of amphipods and copopods which are enormous, and don't hide when the lights are on anymore. The sand bed in now riddled with creatures, but only the first few inches.

A couple of pic's of the tank

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
No additives. I don't feed the corals, however when I can I chuck stuff in from the fish markets like live pippies, vongola, sea urchin roe. The sea urchin roe especially clouds the water, so do the pippies and vongola when they succumb to the harassment of the fish. Nitrates are still zero.

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
why don't you just test the water? then you can determine how well your tank actually is without water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store