Water Change Technique

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I did my first water change yesterday. What a JOB! I filled up at 55 gallon barrel with tap water, treated it, and let the airpump circulate it for about an hour. Then I pulled the pump out of my wet dry and used it to pump the water into the tank. My husband said, "If you're going to do all of that, you might as well do saltwater." He's right. Are you guys just emptying your tank, then putting the declorinator in and filling up the tank like that? It's just been too long since I've done these kinds of water changes, and I don't want to screw it up!

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Yeah- I have that. I'm just not sure about adding tap water directly to the tank vs. letting it circulate for a bit with the dechlorinator in a separate container.

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
I only do about a 15-25% water change as I vacuum the substrate. I add the new water back in as you do. I use the python to fill my 15 gal barrel. I'm like you, I don't trust just putting tap water directly in to the tank, I'm afraid the prime won't mix well.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It's not a problem to put the dechlor directly into the tank. I routinely do 50% changes on tanks with this method.

tigi78840

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Del Rio,(AKA The Seventh Circle of Hell), Texas
Real Name
Tanya
I gravel vac and take 50% water out, 5 gal bucke by bucket, then I fill the bucket up 10%, then dechlor, then turn the water pressure allthe way up for the rest of the bucket to help mix it. I know it's probably kind of unsanitary, but if I feel It's not going to stir up enough, I stir it with my hands while the bucket is filling. You don't have to cmpletely change ALL the water, if you do regular water changes.I've known people that just pour all the water in the tank with a water hose, then add dechlor. , but I'm not THAT brave,lol

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Well, I think next weekend I'll just gravel vac half the tank, remove 25-40% of the water (depending on nitrate levels), dump in a little extra dose of dechlor, and fill up the tank directly. This business of dragging the barrel into the house, unhooking the wet/dry pump, blah, blah, blah was just a bit too much. OH! And did I mention that because we have all these stupid fancy schmancy plumbing fixtures in the house, that the only outlet that the python would fit on was the one in the laundry room, and the hose was about 8' too short to reach there...so I had to hook it up to the outside faucet, and boil two huge pots of water to get the temp right. Gonna go get some extra hose this week. Water changes on my 10,000+ gallon saltwater systems were less work! :)

Darth Scohin

Daphnia
May 2, 2010
Mountain Basin, Near Valley
I siphon 50% with the Python Pre dose with Prime and then add water back in....Done and Done, if you want to be more on the safe side you dose a little afterwards too

OriginalJay

AC Members
Feb 1, 2010
NJ, USA
Real Name
Jay
I siphon 50% with the Python Pre dose with Prime and then add water back in....Done and Done, if you want to be more on the safe side you dose a little afterwards too
I do exactly the same thing. I believe this is how the Python was intended to be used for water changes. Adding a huge bucket into the process kind of destroys the convenience of having the Python.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store