water changes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loveclaywell

AC Members
Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Real Name
Victoria.(:
Well I have a few fake plants in the tank.But i just think its tail rot.I've had the betta for a week today and i've changed the water 5 times since then.I've got some salt in the tank,and i'm gonna get tail rot stuff .And no i have no liquid test kit.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The betta could be exhibiting an ilness from the recent purchase caused by stress or purely genetics. Fresh water is best, as is filtration. If you buy a tail rot med, make sure it is acceptable for bettas..some are not. If you can't afford a good liquid test kit, try to at least get some less expensive dip strips to give us an idea where your tank is...

loveclaywell

AC Members
Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Real Name
Victoria.(:
Ok,well I did a water change this morn. and just now.I'll get tail rot med for bettas and a water test kit.Anything else?

loveclaywell

AC Members
Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Real Name
Victoria.(:
:)Ok,so I put in a little bit of the 'Jungle fungus clear' stuff .He looks good and I can see a little tail growth!

talian

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You want to get some Pimafix (Or Jungle fungus rot as you did, it all does the same job) , Melafix and aquarium salts in that tank, daily water change with dechlorinated water ... a 1 gal is a good med tank, and I have dealt with some pretty sever fin and tail rot. If you don't have Melafix then Bettafix will do just the same.

I currently have a very little girl in a 3 gal and do a full tank change daily, it's just an under gravel filter but for a day it is good, her water comes from a filtered tank daily, my last case of tail and fin rot recovered pretty well and I seen good growth before moving him to a 10 gallon tank, he still gets the Pimafix just in case since he is recovering from a very bad case of rot and his tank gets a 1/3 tank change every 3rd day.

Keep us informed on how your little one is doing.

Wetman

AC Members
Mar 24, 2011
New York
With fin rot, water changes are just a start. Gentle warmth (c. 80o - 82o) and some salt (one teaspoon to a gallon) help the fish conquer the fungus. Proportionately pre-salt the water you're substituting at each change. When the fin rot is gone, floating water sprite and duckweed will keep the water better balanced in future. (No plants during the salt treatment.)

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
Keep up the daily water changes. Like SlappyMcfish said...... a 1 g isn't much trouble for water changes.
Filtration is def the way to go for any tank...... finding a suitable filter small enough for a 1g may be difficult to fit in such a small tank. Bettas love calm water, which a filter in a 1g may not provide. 5g is easier to maintain, filter and provides Betta with the space he likes.
Personally, I like salt, heat, and melafix for most of the freshwater illness I encounter. And a 1g is the perfect size for a hospital tank.

loveclaywell

AC Members
Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Real Name
Victoria.(:
Well,Its been a while,but Almanzo(my betta) is doing great!I've had him for about a month,and he is Alot better!I had put jungle fungus clear,a little salt,and was doing water changes almost every day.Now he has almost no tail rot,and he is flourishing well!:) I had bought 3 ghost shrimp,and he killed them:(,but did not eat them.I just bought some mystery snails for my larger tank,and thought maybe I could put one in Almanzos tank.Do you think I should?Could he kill them? Thanks everyone for everything!:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store