We have WRIGGLERS!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Thanks for the comments everyone! Day 4 and the tiny buggers are more defined... you can see their eyeballs now and and their tails are getting longer.:lol2:

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Yay!!! Congrats Marl!!!! I'm excited for you! Please keep posting on the progress, your pictures are fantastic!!:y220e::y220e::y220e::y220e:

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Yay!!! Congrats Marl!!!! I'm excited for you! Please keep posting on the progress, your pictures are fantastic!!:y220e::y220e::y220e::y220e:
Thanks Deb!

:cry: the video doesn't work for me. Congrats though, so exciting!
hmmm I wonder why? but thanks for the comment!

Congrats, exciting times at the homestead. GL
Yup yup exciting times it is!

UPDATES:
Day 5 since hatching, their egg yolk sacs are getting smaller and you can see their eyeballs and their tails! :)

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Woohoo!! Yay marl!!

Great pics, hope to see more as they grow.

Mark

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Absolutely amazing!!! I love it, thanks for sharing!!!
Woohoo!! Yay marl!!

Great pics, hope to see more as they grow.

Mark
Great pics those bellies look really red. Keep the pics coming!!!! Can we see a FTS please?
Thank you very much for the comments :D
A little more about the tank they are in.
I have them in a 55 g planted community tank.
stock is as follows:
5 discus
3 ottos
3 sterbai corys
5 panda corys
8 black neon tetras
3 rummy nose tetras

everyone seems to be getting along... the parents are keeping a good job protecting their brood and chasing away all the fish to the other end of the tank.

Its been six days since they spawned. My dilemma now is figuring out when to move them. I have no extra tank. I have a 29g which I converted to a planted tank. If I use that tank I would have to break it down. There's no problem with me doing that but with work and all it will be a pain in the butt.

I've read up on how to successfully raise them and nowhere have I seen that people have done it in a planted community tank. Everyone seems to agree to put them in their own tank..... before they even start to lay eggs! Well as I mentioned earlier my discus have been laying eggs on and off every 10-15 days in the past year and this is the first time they got it right. So as of now I'm winging it. Taking care of the fry and raising them up properly takes a lot of commitment, time and effort.

My plan for now is to leave them in the planted tank till they are free swimming and established...keep to my normal WC regime which is 50% once a week and of course maintain my water parameters. They still need to feed on the slime their parents produce. In 2 weeks when they are ready to eat bbs I will transfer them to the 29g with their parents which should be dismantled by then. I will be starting a bbs hatchery soon and I got golden pearls (50-100 micron) from Ken's Fish supply.

Well that's the plan for now. Wish me luck. As always comments and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks!

Before I end here is a pic of them on Day 6: :thumbsup: And a full tank shot as requested Jay!

Day 6 og Discus spawn 001.JPG Day 6 og Discus spawn 002.JPG Day 6 og Discus spawn 003.JPG Day 6 og Discus spawn 004.JPG Day 6 og Discus spawn 005.JPG Day 6 og Discus spawn 006.JPG

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
How about a quick fix to relieve some of the possible stress for all the fish and improve the chances of protecting the fry. Most chain stores carry the plastic divider for the 55g tank which should keep parents and fry separate from the rest of the fish.... just a suggestion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store