We have WRIGGLERS!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
How about a quick fix to relieve some of the possible stress for all the fish and improve the chances of protecting the fry. Most chain stores carry the plastic divider for the 55g tank which should keep parents and fry separate from the rest of the fish.... just a suggestion.
Yeah! I was thinking about that Jay... I might just go ahead and do that! Thanks bro!

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Quick post! Day 7 FREESWIMMERS! Woke up this morning and when the lights were on the fry went crazy and started swimming everywhere! The parents went crazy trying to catch them all and spitting them back onto the leaf where the were all hanging out. A few adventurous ones strayed too far and were snacks for the other discus. I was like :eek:mg:so i jumped in and put in a ghetto divider. See tank pic. :headbang2:So here is a few quick shots and I'm off to the pet store to get me a divider and sponge inserts. Hopefully I will still have fry left when I get back. Wish me luck.

Marl

Discus Spawn Day 7 003.JPG Discus Spawn Day 7 008.JPG Discus Spawn Day 7 009.JPG Discus Spawn Day 7 010.JPG Discus Spawn Day 7 011.JPG Discus Spawn Day 7 012.JPG Discus Spawn Day 7 013.JPG

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
LOL - Love the ghetto divider. :) Hopefully the fry can't get past it. The more I was thinking about it - the dividers at the store - I'm betting fry can fit through those holes, unless they make some with mesh rather than the drilled plexiglass (or whatever it is) that I'm thinking of...

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
*sigh bad news... came back home with the divider and almost all of the fry are gone and I am left with only 3 that I can see so far. Oh well it was good while it lasted. At least this time they made it to the free swimming stage. Back to the old drawing board. At least now I know what to expect and how to handle things once they do start to spawn again.

marl

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
Sorry to hear that you lost most of the frys. IMHO if you really want to breed these discus, I say go out and get yourself a 20-30 gal tank and put them in for breeding purpose. Once they raise the frys to 4-6 weeks, put the parent back in the planted tank. It's so difficult to breed in a tank with cannister filer, substrates and plants.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
They should be free swimmers soon you may also want to put a sponge over the filter intake or something to keep the from being sucked in.

That's exactly what i was thinking. I would hate to see all this hard work flushed down the toilet or in this case sucked up the inlet lol

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Yeah, its true, but that filter I shut off. Everything that happened was unexpected. They almost always eat the eggs and when they hatched I was caught with my pants down so to speak. Sadly I work 14 hours a day and did not have the time to get things set up right. But now I know what to expect so it's all good. Was very exciting to experience though. I have most of the stuff I need for the next time my discus spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store