well....gonna do another ram spawn.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Congradulations!!! If you decide to try shipping put me on the top of the list for a male:D My lfs got a batch of german raised rams and I got lucky and got a female, but since then they only get asian stock and I've been looking everywere for a european male to go with my female. Please let me know if you decide to try it and let me know what you would want for him.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Well Sting....I'll keep this log going...if all goes well with them.....give me a heads up when it's time to find homes for them. I've never shipped fish before........so I think we'd both be taking a risk there....would't mind giving it a shot though.

I just read some info on these new transportation bags for live fish....they're "breathable" !! IN otherwords, you don't need to leave an airpocket in the bag for the fish..so they take transport much better, being incased in a little bubble rather than sloshing around in a half empty bag. I have no idea where to get any though....

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Thought I would post a picture of the growout tank I set up...rather quickly....

It's a 10 gallon I had sitting around empty. I took a running sponge filter from another tank and also a bag of gravel that I had in that tank as well. The filter is seeded and both the gravel and filter have been in a 10gallon divided betta setup I have..with 4 bettas in it. So...plenty of beneficial bacteria to start with.

It's a bare bottom tank, the heater is set at 82 and I've only filled it about 1/3 full so that when the fry begin to swim they can easily reach the surface to feed. I plan on feeding powdered fry food when they are big enough to eat it. Infusoria up to that point.

I also had my other pair of rams spawn last night...so I carefully removed some of her eggs and put them on a clear plastic lid in the fry tank..to keep them contained in one spot so that I can keep an eye on them. I left her some eggs in the tank...if they develope into wrigglers I'll remove them too. Though, having disturbed her nest..I'm not sure what she will do..probably eat them.

Parameters:
KH-70ppm
GH-60ppm
PH-7.8
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Temperature-82F

The nitrates reading I didn't expect to be perceptable, since this tank was filled with clean fresh water. I'll keep an eye on the readings as there can't be much for ammonia to feed the beneficial bacteria either....so, seeded sponge or not...it's something to keep an eye on I'm thinking. I'm wondering about adding some water from one of my tanks....instead of fresh... "??"

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yes, I have considered that...but the tank that the last batch is in....has 2 angels and 5 prestella tetras.....thought I'd try and get to them before the others....lol....

I do know that collecting the fry as wrigglers...before they become free swimming is probably the easiest way to get them....as the parents group them all into a small ditch that they dig in the substrate. It would be so easy to just syphon them out at that time. But, at this time it was on a whim...so I just nabbed them out of there while the thought was with me....I do that sometimes.... :rolleyes:

Did a partial water change in the fry tank this morning...plenty of little wrigglers in there and the eggs I added yesturday look good !

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Here's a an especially nice pic of the parents of the second batch of eggs...(a bit dark, but still nice)... The female is the one in the background...male in front. Click on the pic for a larger view...

I haven't been able to get a decent pic of the parents of the first batch...I'll post when when I do...

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yes....the pair I don't have a pic of ...the male is large and plump...lol....Both of those are fish from my first spawn. The only pair I kept.

The one's in the pic there...the female is my original ram. She's BEAUTIFUL and quite large for a female. Bigger than her partner !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store