well....gonna do another ram spawn.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Well, plenty of free swimming fry in the tank now. I'm not concerned with feeding them yet. I can see them snacking on tiny microrganism that are obviously in there.

The eggs from the second batch are starting to take on a lighter color...not a good sign...healthy eggs get darker, not lighter........but we'll see. There's still some on there looking good. No signs of fungus...which is good. (That just never seems to be a problem in my tanks)

It's amazing how fast they grow...just this morning they were barely getting around..just laying there wriggling thier little tails....now this afternoon they're swimming all over snapping up goodies.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Cooooool!!!!!!!!! You know what I said about looking for a german male ram. Well my lfs finally got a shipment of rams from german 2 days ago so I picked out what I thought was a male. Well, as I'm typing I'm watching the female lay eggs on the driftwood and the male hovering over them, maybe fertilizing them. This is so cool!!! I can't believe this happened so quickly after introducing the male, she has been looking fat lately, maybe it was just good timeing. I hope mine do as well as yours emg. I guess I won't be needing you to ship me one of yours after all.
So do you have any advice for me? I don't have another tank so I don't know if I'll be able to seperate them. Will the parents eat all of them? How long does it take before the eggs start hatching? What color should the eggs look if they are fertilized? Thanks emg, keep us updated on yours.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Ok, more questions, how long before the parents start to eat them, or ignore them enough to let everyone else eat them? It seems that the male is guarding them and everyonce in awhile will go attack the female, I don't know if this is to keep her close or away or something else. Man, I'm so excited!!! :laugh: :clap: :dance2:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Lol ! Good for you Sting !!! :clap:

If you really want to raise them....get one of those hang on the side netted fry boxes. If the parents don't eat them before they hatch...after they hatch, syphon them up when the parents gather them all in a ditch..that's the easiest way to get them....put them in the fry box and put in some java moss with them....try and set this up before they hatch if you can...so the java moss can sit in there and a good collection of infusoria can develope in there.

The eggs will hatch after about 2-3 days depending on what the temp of your water is. I keep mine at 80F. They won't need to feed for a day or two as they will have yolk sacs. There should be enough infusoria in with the java moss to feed them until they're large enough for either bbs, micro worms or powdered fry food.

While you are doing all that you can be setting up a growout tank for them. Run a sponge filter in the tank you have for a couple of weeks....and when the sponge is ready put it in the growout tank along with a nylon bag of gravel from your established tank...and an airstone and heater....and you should be set to go ! :)

Good luck ! :D

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Ok, thanks emg. I forgot about the fry boxes. So they'll really hatch that soon? How will I know when they are big enough to need to be fed?
Important question! If I put the eggs in a fry box will the parents quit beating up my gouramis?! :eek: The male and female beat up on each other and they gang up on the gouramis. What should I do? I don't want anyone to get hurt or die. The one gourami looks like its already got scars. I'd rather trash the eggs than lose any of my fish! Will everyone be ok and when will the rams melow out? Thanks for you help so far.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
RAy...what size tank is that you have ?

My rams do get a bit pushy when they're guarding thier eggs/fry...but they never get dangerously so. One pair I have in a 20long with 3 female guppies and 2 ottos. They just shoo them away when they get too close.

The other tank is a 29..and there's plenty of room for the other fish to scoot away if they trespass. The rams just shoo them off.

I'm sure they'll settle down after the eggs/fry are removed. Mine usually go back to ignoring everyone else pretty quickly. And rams will get testy with one another off and on...even a bonded pair...though I have to say, the pair I have in my 20long are VERY good to each other.

Maybe you could add some other cave/plant/log type decorations in there temporarily for folks to hide out in while the rams are being "parental". The eggs only take a couple of days to hatch, they should be able to handle it till then I would think...unless mom and pop are getting REALLY nasty. IN that case, try to think of something to use as a divider for now.

Update:

The eggs I was waiting on are failures..I removed them this morning. I don't think mom had any success with the ones she had left with her either. I just think they were duds. Not sure if they were even fertile. The two were newly introduced and the female kept chasing him off during the courting faze. I didn't see them spawn so I don't know if he got to them or not.

The fry are doing great. MOst of them have chosen a corner to group in..with a few wandering off on thier own. I'll see if I can get a pic of them with my new 5.1 mega pixel camera I got for Christmas this year ! :D

Oh, did another small water change this am...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store