What am I doing wrong??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amysangels2

AC Members
Nov 27, 2011
interesting results: I just finished testing my parameters, and the ph out of my tap is a strong 7.6, as my tank used to be. However when I remodeled a few weeks ago, I added a large piece of driftwood. From what I've read driftwood can lower ph, and when I tested my tank, sure enough, it read between 7.0 and 7.2 (it was hard to tell the difference in colors, but it was clearly lower than it used to be). My ammonia is 0, my nitrites 0, and my nitrates 5. The fish I've had have had time to adjust to the changing ph, but water changes are still going to cause a fluctuation. Is the difference considered drastic? Could this be killing my angels?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Aaaahhhh....I am very sorry you lost him. That really stinks. A drop from 7.6 to 7.2 or even 7 is not that drastic...especially when you are only doing partial changes. Even though your water parameters are fine as far as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate....extra food left over from frequent feedings encourages OTHER bacteria and nasties to grow in the tank. That is why the extra water changes with quick gravel or sand vac make a difference. It is harder the smaller the fish. You definitely should invest in a python!!

There are several reputable and well known breeders on aquabid. There is angelsplus.com and mellowaquatics.com. All of which have nice fish and have good reputations. Look for fish that are at least quarter size if not half-dollar size. If you see and ad on aquabid and like the fish, but they are selling 6...email the seller and ask for a side deal. I have done this several times when I really only wanted 2 or 3 not 8. They will usually work something out with you.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
That's such a shame, I'm so sorry! It's hard to know what exactly the problem is. I don't know, maybe angels are just a little finickier about water conditions than most other fish. If you look at my signature you can see what I have with my angel. The rest of the fish can look fine, but occasionally my angel with get a little ragged-looking, and his stripes will fade. That's my cue to do a gravel vac and partial water change on the spot, even though my readings are normal. I have to do two gravel vacs/water changes a week, I change out about 1/3 of the water each time.

amysangels2

AC Members
Nov 27, 2011
Aaaahhhh....I am very sorry you lost him. That really stinks. A drop from 7.6 to 7.2 or even 7 is not that drastic...especially when you are only doing partial changes. Even though your water parameters are fine as far as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate....extra food left over from frequent feedings encourages OTHER bacteria and nasties to grow in the tank. That is why the extra water changes with quick gravel or sand vac make a difference. It is harder the smaller the fish. You definitely should invest in a python!!

There are several reputable and well known breeders on aquabid. There is angelsplus.com and mellowaquatics.com. All of which have nice fish and have good reputations. Look for fish that are at least quarter size if not half-dollar size. If you see and ad on aquabid and like the fish, but they are selling 6...email the seller and ask for a side deal. I have done this several times when I really only wanted 2 or 3 not 8. They will usually work something out with you.
Thanks for the info. I didn't think ordering online would be an option since every dealer I looked at only offered way more fish than I would want. I'll contact the ones you included and see what they'll do.

I'll be ordering a water changer after Christmas. Is the python brand really that much better than the aqueon?

amysangels2

AC Members
Nov 27, 2011
That's such a shame, I'm so sorry! It's hard to know what exactly the problem is. I don't know, maybe angels are just a little finickier about water conditions than most other fish. If you look at my signature you can see what I have with my angel. The rest of the fish can look fine, but occasionally my angel with get a little ragged-looking, and his stripes will fade. That's my cue to do a gravel vac and partial water change on the spot, even though my readings are normal. I have to do two gravel vacs/water changes a week, I change out about 1/3 of the water each time.
It looks like I'll be doing that too. It won't be so bad once I get my water changer:) I'm getting better at vacuuming the sand without disturbing it too much.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can check the ads here too

I find getting the fish from folks here usually turns out fairly good.

don't lose hope.. fish especially from box stores.. just don't do that well. part of the problem is the box stores often get culls.. or 'B' fish sometimes 'C' .. on rare occasions 'A' fish.. when you get them from local sources or on line you usually get better fish.

even the best of us can lose fish for no apparent reason.

amysangels2

AC Members
Nov 27, 2011
Well I guess it happens to every aquarist at one point...my angel has a cotton looking fungus and I've lost 4 corys and a neon tetra that I've had since July. I don't live anywhere near a fish store, so I went to walmart last night to see what kind of meds they had. I bought some type of parasite killing tablet. They didn't have anything much to choose from. Anyway, I removed my carbon and dosed, and my angel didn't show up for breakfast this morning. I searched the tank but couldn't find him. I had to leave for work, so I didn't have time to find him.
I should start out with the fact that I went against my better judgement and bought 2 more angels at petsmart. They were so beautiful. I thought I'd give it another shot. I had purchased 2 julii corys and a panda cory at a different privately owned pet shop a few days before, and I think they are the culprits. I know I should have qt'd, but I don't have the option right now. The other angel seems fine and was eating this morning.
My parameters are amm-0, trites-0, trates-5.
Could someone please tell me the best meds for something like this?

amysangels2

AC Members
Nov 27, 2011
Well, I think I have a case of columnaris. I've lost everything but 5 neons and 2 panda corys. The pandas aren't eating, so I'm thinking it won't be long for them. I'm not 100% sure thats what I have though. The only thing I've dosed lately is Melafix, which certainly wouldn't cure that, but I still have some fish. I would think it would kill everything. My question is....does anyone have experience with this, and how do I sterilize and clean the tank?

On a lighter note, a friend of a friend sold me a 30g with working hood/light, and a marineland penquin 200, all for $30:woot: Can't wait to start a stocking plan!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
columnaris responds well to furan 2 treatments otherwise break the tank down and sterilize

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store