What are the costs of a tank? And opinions on the setup I've got planned.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I buy mine from Orlando at http://www.greenleafaquariums.com, I might save a $1 or 2 buying elsewhere, but his customer service is next to none.

I have a gram scale I bought in the food section of Walmart to measure out the dry ferts. I usually measure out 10 baggies full at once, lasts me months (if a cop ever searched my house, I'd have some explaining to do-<vbg>-).

I also bought these:

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/dispenser-16oz.html

to mix and store the ferts. I ended up getting 2 more dispensers to store my excel and prime in, just makes it easier to use with a syringe.

Make sure you check out Tom Barrs EI method. I used to use EI, but collectoritize took over, I now have 9 tanks, and decided to try PPS last year. Instead of 50% WC, I do 20% weekly, or try to. PPS is doing a great job on all my tanks but my 75g. That tank has turned into a PITA, one of these days I'll get it right.

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
I tried to read the post about EI, but I couldn't make it. My ADD is killer with that kind of thing. The PPS seems really easy. 2ml per day, waterchanges as needed.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I tried to read the post about EI, but I couldn't make it. My ADD is killer with that kind of thing. The PPS seems really easy. 2ml per day, waterchanges as needed.
hahaha I know what you mean, it took me quite a while to figure out the EI thing myself. After I did, I figured out that I couldn't keep up with the routine, so I just cut back on the lighting and all is well.

Put out a feeler on this. http://greenville.craigslist.org/for/2292360510.html

Any ideas on a reasonable offer?
I'd offer $50 on that. It looks decent. Maybe more if you really really like it.

Not sure what kind of filter is on it

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
That's what I emailed him about. Here's what he sent back.

The name on the filter is Pengiun Bio Wheel 170. I do not see any damage. It was being used just a few months ago and the fish were given away and the tank was pumped out.

I was thinking of offering maybe $50 and seeing what he bumped it up to. It'd be nice coming with a stand. Save me the trouble of building one. I did design a really nice one in Google Sketch that I could have built for about $80. 3/4 oak plywood.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Trick about Craigslist is you have to be very patient if you want a good deal... especially here in SC where good deals are hard to come by on Craigslist and everyone wants to get back what they paid for the equipment to begin with...

I watched enviously as people on here have bragged about deals they've got on Craigslist- and all I see is nutters in my state wanting $1000 for a used 125 gallon. If you're patient though you'll see prices vary from seller to seller by HUGE differences- and the real steals do come along from time to time.

I picked up a 40 gallon with stand for $25 last year- and recently picked up a 125 with a very nice stand, quality filters/heaters/lighting/substrate etc,etc,etc for $250.

The more patient you are the better deal you will get. Sometimes it takes months for a good deal to come along.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Well it's easier when you have a tank to be patient... the 40g was just an expansion tank for me to give my shrimp a home away from fish. The 125 is just an upgrade on my 55 for me.

If I didn't HAVE a tank to begin with- I'd probably be in a rush... my 55 I spent $250 or thereabouts new at Petsmart for a kit full of cheapo components and no stand. I know better than that now- but I pretty much decided I wanted to get back into my childhood hobby of fish keeping- and bought a tank all in the space of about... or 2 hours.

(yes I did patiently wait my nitrogen cycle out before getting any fish though... ;) )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store