What are these bugs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
exu! That's it!!! The only problem...I don't have any palo verde trees near me. Argh!!!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
well palo verdes are all over the place... maybe they were mini-migrating or going somewhere... and fell in your pool???

shrimpin

theres always room for one more
Sep 25, 2005
tempe, az
hey williams I dont live far from you and I use to get those all the time too, hard to kill though....
biggest one I found was about 7-8 inches.......

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
You'd get a pretty satisfying THWACK if you nailed one with a tennis racket too. Be careful not to break a window though.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, I posted on the BugGuide.net forum and got a pretty quick response

Derobrachus geminatus.
These are indeed specimens of the palo verde root borer. Females are heavy-bodied with slender antennae. Males are more svelt, with thick antennae (at the base at least). They fly clumsily, so biggest threat is of them colliding with you. They are attracted to lights at night as well, so consider shutting off your outdoor lighting. They can bite if molested, so don't pick them up. Otherwise, what is the issue? They don't even cause major damage to the trees they bore into.

exu

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
They can be a bit startling when they buzz you or smack into your house at night. Otherwise they shouldn't cause anyone any harm unless you putting your fingers where you shouldn't. No need to go killing them in my opinion.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
hey williams I dont live far from you and I use to get those all the time too, hard to kill though....
biggest one I found was about 7-8 inches.......
Whoa!:headbang2:

Ok, I posted on the BugGuide.net forum and got a pretty quick response

They can bite if molested, so don't pick them up.
I'd never molest anything that big!:eek: :liar:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store