What do you agree would be the minimum tank size for bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What is the perfect tank size for a betta? (minimum)

• Smaller than 1/2g

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1/2g

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 1g

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • 2.5g

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • 5g

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • 10g

Votes: 19 16.1%

• Total voters

Gouramigirl71

Registered Fishaholic
May 4, 2007
I voted 2.5 gal. Right now I have a betta living in a three gallon bowl (with filtration and heat) and he's the happiest, healthiest betta I have. I really think most bettas like living totally alone. The one's I've put with other fish don't fare as well it seems until they move to there own, although smaller, tanks.

zoowks

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Orlando
i read about a study on beta's. most people get months maybe a year or 2 out of their beta not including time from birth to lfs. these scientist bred some and they lived 10 years in 10 gal tank with heater etc each, daily the scientist would chase the fish around to keep them active was found to be a huge piece of the healthiness for a beta

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I wouldn't do less than 5 gallons.I even think thats to small.

To many people think Bettas don't move around or aren't active fish. I disagree with that because the Betta in my 55 gallon tank is constantly swimming all over the tank and even the one in the 15 gallon is active. With such small areas as a 1 or 2.5 gallon they have no room to swim around.

They might be better off in the 1 gallon then a bowl but that doesn't mean they are doing the best they are capable of doing.

Does a small dog like a Jack Russell deserve a smaller yard then a Great Dane?
i agree. until a fish is in a very big tank you dont know how it will react. i always thought zebras were active. i had them in a 20 long. wasnt until i put some in a 120 i saw how very active they are.

PDX-PLT

AC Members
Jan 8, 2007
Does a small dog like a Jack Russell deserve a smaller yard then a Great Dane?
Yup, absolutely.

As to the bettas, I've had them seem happy in a ten. If a male goes to the trouble to build a next, he must be in a good mood ...

Last edited:

cheizy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2006
bare min IMO is a 2.5 for a betta. I have a 2.5 gal and the betta seems happy, always swimming and working on his nest daily!

Joergen.Schoppe

AC Members
Jan 13, 2007
China Shenzhen/Shekou
Deadxerox, first time I see your signature. I love it.
I agree fully, fish, all of them, should be kept in a as big tank as possible.
We try to copy nature, or get as close a s possible. we might never be able to copy a full river, like the amazon, maybe, but a 1 or even 2.5g... some people call this a tank... sorry, but this almost makes me cry.
I personally never had Bettas, as i always thought they are too difficult, and not suitable for a community tank. so maybe I lack some kind of knowledge, but anyway, 2.5g, how much space is there to go for a swim? a fish tank is like a prison, our beloved animals spend the rest of their life in it, so lets make it as comfortable as possible. give them space

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
whenyou consider where and under what cons=ditions most bettas live in(even oin nature) a 2.5-5 gal is pretty nice.;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store