What do you agree would be the minimum tank size for bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What is the perfect tank size for a betta? (minimum)

• Smaller than 1/2g

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1/2g

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 1g

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • 2.5g

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • 5g

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • 10g

Votes: 19 16.1%

• Total voters

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
whenyou consider where and under what cons=ditions most bettas live in(even oin nature) a 2.5-5 gal is pretty nice.;)
There is a big myth that all bettas live in these awful conditions in the wild. This is just not the case. Can some bettas be found in these conditions at times...yes. Is this how all bettas live, all of the time...no. Just because some bettas can be found in these poor conditions some of the time does not mean that this is ideal for them.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
There is a big myth that all bettas live in these awful conditions in the wild. This is just not the case. Can some bettas be found in these conditions at times...yes. Is this how all bettas live, all of the time...no. Just because some bettas can be found in these poor conditions some of the time does not mean that this is ideal for them.
the operative word is 'all'.
I do not believe this is a myth when the fish is commonly found in 'these conditions'
I never said all . however, the betta developed the labrynth organ over time for a reason.
that being the harsh conditions (lack of O2) in thier normal habitat.

they are comonly found in small streams and shallow ponds. both of which are subjected to these extreme conditions. It is quite common for them to be found in these condtions.(subjected to wild fluctuations(over time) from time to time)

these 'poor' conditions is one of the things that allows the species to be prolific in conditions that are not suitable for other fishes. one way they adapted to compete.

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
I personally don't think anything should be kept in less than 10 gallons. Anything will do better with more room to move about in. My bettas are much more active in my 75 and 90 gallon than they ever where in my 10.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
the operative word is 'all'.
I do not believe this is a myth when the fish is commonly found in 'these conditions'
I never said all . however, the betta developed the labrynth organ over time for a reason.
that being the harsh conditions (lack of O2) in thier normal habitat.

they are comonly found in small streams and shallow ponds. both of which are subjected to these extreme conditions. It is quite common for them to be found in these condtions.(subjected to wild fluctuations(over time) from time to time)

these 'poor' conditions is one of the things that allows the species to be prolific in conditions that are not suitable for other fishes. one way they adapted to compete.
Small streams, shallow ponds, rice paddies, and drainage ditches were they are commonly found typically have far more space to swim than a 2 gallon aquarium provides. It is not as common to find them in a 2 gallon puddle...although I'm sure it happens from time to time.

As for their labyrinth organ this can be attributed to a lack of 02 in the water...Agreed. However this lack of 02 is not necessarily attributed to a lack of actual water or space. There are many larger fish that have the same organ that couldn't possible be put in a 2 gallon aquarium. Being able to breath atmospheric air is no reason to keep bettas in a tiny tank with no room to move IMO.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Small streams, shallow ponds, rice paddies, and drainage ditches were they are commonly found typically have far more space to swim than a 2 gallon aquarium provides. It is not as common to find them in a 2 gallon puddle...although I'm sure it happens from time to time.

As for their labyrinth organ this can be attributed to a lack of 02 in the water...Agreed. However this lack of 02 is not necessarily attributed to a lack of actual water or space. There are many larger fish that have the same organ that couldn't possible be put in a 2 gallon aquarium. Being able to breath atmospheric air is no reason to keep bettas in a tiny tank with no room to move IMO.
I don't want this to get too off topic
but the lack of O2 is generally attributed to the warmer water these shallow bodies of water experience. the summers can get quite warm in these climates and these bodies of water are then subjected to low dissolved O2 exhibited in warm water.
in the 2 gallon tank(not what I would house a betta in but then again we are discussing the minimum size here) under normal tank care the water will most likely have an abundant supply of O2.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
I don't want this to get too off topic
but the lack of O2 is generally attributed to the warmer water these shallow bodies of water experience. the summers can get quite warm in these climates and these bodies of water are then subjected to low dissolved O2 exhibited in warm water.
in the 2 gallon tank(not what I would house a betta in but then again we are discussing the minimum size here) under normal tank care the water will most likely have an abundant supply of O2.
My point was that the conditions they live in are not that similar to a 2 gallon tank. They would have much more room to swim in the wild than a tank that size provides. The lack of 02 has very little to do with this statement. IMO it is not suitable to keep a betta in tank this small as there is very little room for it to move around regardless of the amount of oxygen in the water.

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
whenyou consider where and under what cons=ditions most bettas live in(even oin nature) a 2.5-5 gal is pretty nice.;)
your argument would've been MUCH better had you used little bowls at the pet shop as a reference. but from what you said, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
your argument would've been MUCH better had you used little bowls at the pet shop as a reference. but from what you said, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
really?

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
I will echo what others have already said, and it is based on a distinction between whether you ask what the minimum size is or the perfect size. MINIMUM in my opinion is 2.5, I prefer 5 gallon at least and perfect is obvioulsy the bigger the better. I have a betta in a 5 gallon with a couple endlers, and my dau's is about to be moved from the 2.5 gallon hex into a 10 gallon with some platys.

As far as people using the excuse of "what they are used to", have you seen how bettas are shipped? The guy at the LFS pulled out the box to show me. 100 bettas in a box 12" x 12" x 4" deep. Each one in a plastic bag that is 1/4 if that of a ziploc bag with barely enough water to keep them wet depending how you turn the bag. can they survive like that? Obviously, but don't try to tell me that since it is possible that you can argue 2 ounces of water is "fine"

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
My point was that the conditions they live in are not that similar to a 2 gallon tank. They would have much more room to swim in the wild than a tank that size provides. The lack of 02 has very little to do with this statement. IMO it is not suitable to keep a betta in tank this small as there is very little room for it to move around regardless of the amount of oxygen in the water.[/QUOT

Oh I agree the conditions in the wild vs the conditions we keep fish in are not nearly the same.
but using this arguement you could say we should not be keeping fish at all.

because we cannot ,obviously, mimic the conditions in the wild nor duplicate the 'swimming ' room they also get in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store