What do you feed your corals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Back when I had an assortment of corals, I didn't feed the smaller polyped species anything. I did, however, feed the larger ones small pieces of fish and/or shrimp.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Cyclopeeze, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, garlic sinking pellets and DT's phyto :D
oh and my anemones get a cube of Prime Reef or mysis shrimp...sometimes a piece of silver side

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
a lot of good suggestions here. I personally use marine snow, cyclopseeze for my LPS. I use frozen silver sides for my anemone.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Mysis shrimp is the staple for my LPS corals (polyps target fed with tweezers).

My soft corals typically aren't specifically fed.

On rare occasions cyclopeeze is provided (for my stylophora and smaller-polyped LPS such as leptastrea), applied with an 'eye dropper'.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
When receiving coral via UPS or FedEx, how soon after should you try to feed?

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
When receiving coral via UPS or FedEx, how soon after should you try to feed?
I believe the main cocern is just getting them into the tank and placing them on the bottom first..work your way up durring the week as they acclimate to the lighting.

As for feeding .. I would say hittem with a little target feeding ..

I use Reef Nutrition Rotifers to feed my tank... Since my corals are Carnivorous.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, I think I'm ready to add water to the FRAG TANK I've got to go get a power head or 2, any suggestions? 2' x 2' x 1'

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Well a store I visit that has a huge frag tank..that I drool over...i dunno if its the luminarcs or the coral but i just love it... =)

They have many power heads in there. Being bare bottom though you can aim those guys where you want and not worry about sand stirring up badly.

I don't know honestly how many to put in that. I would assume put 4 of them in there and direct the flow to the center to cause a disturbance in the flow to prevent swirling...otherwise. Ill let someone with frag tank experience to reply.

Ill ask at the store this weekend what they suggest ...just because now I want to know myself what is best for a frag tank like yours. I would imagine (im a korilia fan) I would get some #4's or even #5's in there.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I've got 4 new 4's for he display tank, and since it's not up and running yet I could try them in this. Maybe 1 to start with.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
I went and bought some new sps and checked out there frag tank... it has 5 400w luminarcs by the way lol....talk about lighting on a major scale... =) .. and two Korilia #5's....also flow from some wave making unit ...i didn't ask just observed ...no detritus on the bare bottom ...lots and lots of flow in there...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store