What do you think? Midas vs. Red Devil???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

penguin

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
I will be setting up a 55 and I want either a Midas or red devil. Whichever i choose will be housed alone. I am leaning towards the midas. I want intelligence,looks and owner response (attacking me through the class goes under this:p) I have heard they are about the same in aggresion levels but midas' are more intelligent? Thanks for your opinions. :) :) :)

predatorcichlid

AC Members
Jan 19, 2003
ohio
community.webtv.net
If you plan on keeping a pure blood Citrinellum or a cross breed from a LFS then a 55 will be insufficent in both water volume and physical space. A citrinellum male can easily hit 12 inches and some can get as large as 15 inches, mix breeds can also reach these sizes. A standered 55 is only 12 inches wide and when all said and done only holds about 40 gal. of actual water. If you could find a pure blood labiatum (rare) they top out at about 10 to 12 inches in capitivity. Even this would be pushing it. 55 gal. tanks are desinged for small community fish and are not suited for large cichlids. The max size fish that sould be kept in a 12 inch wide tank is 8 inches.

penguin

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the coments guys. Would a female Midas outgrow it? If so would a male outgrow a 75? I will be getting a midas over the red devil due to intelligence but if a midas isnt possible i have pure red devils available at my lfs. How long would it take to outgrow a 55? Thanks

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by penguin
Thanks for the coments guys. Would a female Midas outgrow it? If so would a male outgrow a 75? I will be getting a midas over the red devil due to intelligence but if a midas isnt possible i have pure red devils available at my lfs. How long would it take to outgrow a 55? Thanks
Maybe. Adult sizes vary a lot for males and females of both species. A female Midas could potentionally grow just as large as some males. A 75g should be a good tank size for a male of either species. There is no difference in the intelligence of either species. They are extremely similiar in many aspects. You may have read more stories about Midas cichlids being kept as real pets, but thats not because Midas are more intellegent. More apt to slam the glass maybe, but not more intellegent.

MASSMAN2

AC Members
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
They are both the same fish if you ask me. Same fish , different names!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Originally posted by MASSMAN2
They are both the same fish if you ask me. Same fish , different names!
Someone will tell you differently, especially the experts. They are from the same lake, but different fish.

predatorcichlid

AC Members
Jan 19, 2003
ohio
community.webtv.net
They are different fish, If they were identical they would have the same name. They are very similer because they are from the some genus. But there are differences. As far as intelligence goes I don't think one has a advantage over the other. I can tell you speeking in general that the midas males do tend to get bigger and more aggressive them devils. But in captivity the rules can change. I aquired 4 wild caught labiatum. I was trying to breed them but all 3 turn out to be males. One out of the batch grew like crazy. The other 3 all had the typical labiatum (devil) look, but the larger one look to be a midas (citrinellus). I did alot of research on this and got the same answer from 3 of the people I had contacted. In a nut shell this is what they said.

"The specific exterinal traits of these two species are subject to great variabilty in capitivy. They therefor often overlap so that detenmination is impossible by a visual inspection in the aquarium. It was also observed that the larger lobed lips of the labiatus decrease after time of keeping in captivity. It is obvious that certain external stimuli that induce growth in the wild is absent in the aquarium. only freshly caught wild specimens will display this trait. The protruding hump is not a genetically fixed trait to the citrinellus species. Capitive labiatus can also exhibit this feature as can many other cichlid species."

Bascially in a aquarium it can be impossible to tell the difference between a pure devil and pure midas. with out disection and inspection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store