what fish has been at your LFS the longest?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
every time i go to the lfs i see this one lonely butterfly in a tank with hatchets and little catfish. he always sits in the same corner. been there for at least 5 months. at feeding time the catfish swarm to the top water and bother him.

my other LFS has had an arrowhead puffer for 6-7 months. mean as sin. always buried in the sand. too mean to share a tank with a top dweller.

so my dilemna would be: bring home a fish that needs a tight lid or bring home a fish that needs $ live food. ?

what fish has been at your lfs the longest? and which would you choose?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
my lfs has the same koi in an indoor pond going on a couple of decades now.

goozy

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
NY
Visit site
My lfs has a group of Uarus that have been there since I started the hobby, 1 1/2 years ago. Theyare about 2 1/2 inches and haven't really grown that much, probably because they get fed so little. I am setting up a 72 gallon tank and they are a consideration.

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
There is a 10" long red devil at our lfs which has been there for about 2 years. He is an especially viscious individual and people have bought him on numerous occassions despite the store owner's warnings and then they have returned him. I have an acquaintance at work who bought him about a year ago and put him in a 75gal with a huge oscar and he had to remove the red devil the first night to save the oscar. So now this 10" red devil resides in his 30gal store tank all alone. I thought about buying him when I went to set up my 55 but my little girls won't keep their fingers out of the tank and he has bit the store employees on numerous occassions drawing blood.

jbcwilli

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
London, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
A LFS in Brantford Ontario Canada has a Osphranemous Goramy that weighs about 40 pounds. It is a monster. The owner told me that he has had it - mostly in the same tank, for 20 years.

Its tankmates are a redtail catfish (2 1/2 feet), as well as large pleco and some monster new world Cichlids. You can imagine how big the tank is.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
My lfs has a couple of doozies:

a Green Moray eel, about 3 feet, that has been there ever since he added saltwater stock about 6 years or so ago, and a common pleco, at least 3 feet long, that has been in the store for 25 years, and it was not little when they put it there. He has a big not for sale tank that houses the pleco and a bunch of other "old-timers" that he won't sell to anyone unless they can prove they have a tank of at least 100 gallons.

tnlguinn

flathead owner
Jan 26, 2003
So IN
there is an oscar at my LFS that has been badly mistreated, and they saved it from the owner. one of the girls that works there knew the original owner and told him that she was taking it. its in the back of the shop behind the tanks in the part of the store that most of the customers don't get to see( i'm a good customer). it had been housed in a tank with three huge red devils and they had taken chunks out of it. its been there for three years now and has recuperated very well. it only has one spot on its rh gill plate and some scars. i thought about taking it and housing it in my 135 if i set it up a FW.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store