what is a good price for malawi eye biters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
What size tank are these eye biters going in and what will be the tank mates? (keeping them with mbuna's isn't recommended due to aggression and dietary differences). Anything less than a 6ft tank would be inadequate. They get fairly large and are active swimmers. A 1 inch eye biter will be 6" in a year (and will still only be half-grown as far as size is concerned).

As with most polygamous-breeder african cichlid species, the fewer the females the greater the aggression/amourous attention the female(s) will receive.

1 female with an over-eager male will receive 100% of that 'attention' (which may range from receiving the male's breeding displays to receiving the male's aggression since certain male african cichilds do not take kindly to unreceptive females).

2 females/1 male reduces that 'attention reception' to 50%, with further reductions for each female added.
they get a foot long and will be 6" in a year.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
From cichlid-forum profiles:

Some have reported that the "Malawi Eye-Biter" does not attack the eyes of other fishes with any greater frequency than that of other fishes, but I would have to disagree. I found two similarly sized Labidochromis juveniles missing eyes after being kept for a short time with two very small juvenile compressiceps. I can't prove who did it, but I have never had this happen before or since. And with a nick-name like this, I have strong premonitions about "who dunnit."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store