What is the friendliest and least fish hungry Cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SidtheMonkey

Hey, I'm really a woman.
Mar 26, 2010
Outside Seattle, WA
Bolivian rams are hardier than blue rams and super "wet pet" friendly...they're not shy at all. They'll likely eat fry, but they won't bother the adults at all (I've kept endlers with them in the past...never had any fry reach adult age, though, but my tank was a 20 long at the time). In your 29, if you have floating plants, some endler fry will likely survive.

Eric
I agree with the Bolivian ram and also maybe the checkerboard cichlid. They are so cool. I loved keeping a single one and never knowing where I'd find it peering out from the plants.

rstrobel

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Modesto, CA
if you decide to go with bolivians, I wouldn't get a pair. mine are very territorial when they're spawning, the female killed one of my adult neons today.

bunnysgal

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2010
I've got ghost shrimp and Amano shrimp in with my Bolivian Rams and so far haven't had any problems. Then again, they're in a heavily planted 55 gallon.

hollyfish2000

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Hmmm. Quite a bit of questionable advice here! :)

IMHO: Discuss don't belong in a 29 gallon tank!!! Neither do African cichlids!! Please don't put Malawi cichlids with cories and shrimp. Please don't mix Old World and New World cichlids.

A 29-gallon tank would work very well for most dwarf cichlid species, including a 1M-2F apisto, 1M-1F blue ram or 1M-1F laetecara curvicepts. However, I don't think any of these will work particularly well with shrimp (either amano or cherry).

i think your plan for BNs and danios sounds great!

JasonO

AC Members
Mar 28, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Try apistogrammas, they are very peaceful, though you may run into problems if you decide to get a pair and they spawn, becasue they can be more territorial, escpecialy if you don't have good territories set up for them.

I have actually tried to remove some of my guppy fry by feeding them to my apistos, but the apistos didn't eat them and I ended up with full size guppys in the tank after a while. So you should be fine with most apistos.

I am not so sure about them and shrimp, they don't bother amanos for me, but I haven't kept them with other types of shrimp because I think they would eat them, I am not sure though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store