What is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Cichlids are tough cookies. So dont rush to other actions.

Although looks like an Ich , possibly combination of two different types of parasite.
Perhaps Oodinium.

With an assumption that water parameters were and are within range, this deterioration of skin may be contributed by the med itself. Although Rid-Ich, Quick cure did work on Ich infestation, i believe I had better results by using CLOUT made by Aquarium Products. Always had extra 1000 tabs avail in my facility.
I would and have used Formalite for other types of external parasitic infestation in combination with antibiotics on tetra/livebearer related bacterial diseases/external parasitic infestation. I always yielded better results (pretty close to 100% when cuaght and treated at ealy stage of infestation) with CLOUT on f/w Ich/Oodinium, even on clown loaches (lower dosage though) but same results were not obtained on salt water external infestations.
I am not suggesting to switch the med since i dont know if first med was given enough time to eradicate the problem but to keep in mind that other alternatives are avail. Double check your dosage on Rid Ich and make sure you have not overdosed
I strongly urge everyone to do little research online on Mala Green before choosing any med containing MG, which may affect the longevitiy of fish in our care. Tocixity effects of MG dependis on water condition.

In my over two decades of being in this industry, I relied very heavily on CLOUT on common Ich/Oodinium infestation, more effective than all the meds which were avail on the market until I got out few years ago.

btw, one should treat or deactivate medicated water before dumping into our sewer.
Depending on med, different ways of removing. Google on line for facts or contact mfr for futher details.

Hope this beauty recovers fully soon.

Question: Any new additions or fish exposed to eratic/extreme conditions recently (extremely sudden drop in temp due to malfunctioning heater, etc)???????

Last edited:

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Question: Any new additions or fish exposed to eratic/extreme conditions recently (extremely sudden drop in temp due to malfunctioning heater, etc)???????
Only thing was the pleco who brought it in and some otos. I am absolutely sure that I am not od'ing, and I'm doing daily 20% wc's.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Only thing was the pleco who brought it in and some otos. I am absolutely sure that I am not od'ing, and I'm doing daily 20% wc's.
Are you redosing after each pwc per volume of water changed?
If you are not compensating for decrease in concentration of med due to each pwc, tank is not maintaining necessary concentration of med.
This is tricky part as I ve seen many OD or under dose when determining the amt of med being replaced after water changes.

How long did you have the new fish before this outbreaks were noticed?

Last edited:

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
This product is meant to be fully re-dosed every 24 hours, or 12 for really bad cases, like mine. I am adding the product at 6 am, 6pm, etc, with 20% wc's right before the 6 pm dosing. I also discovered that garlic helps boost the immune system, and possibly confuse the pathogens into not recognizing the host. So I crushed a clove of garlic and mixed food with it, and every fish took a bite or two (that I know of).

I got the fish on Saturday, and noticed the issue Wednesday, but the visible signs spread in a period of 7 hours. He was dead this morning. That's not a good sign, but atleast the carrier is gone. I can tell you one thing, I will NEVER buy fish from petsmart again, and they will be hearing from me.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Yeah, but every fish in the tank has it, which is another 15 fish. Hopefully it won't take too long, but I feel it will take longer than a week.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The product tells to continue 3 days after symptoms disappear. Is that ok? Or is it better to go longer?

Here are some better pictures. The cichlid is the male, and then there are the tiger barbs. The cichlids are the worst in the tank by far, except they don't have a lot of problems with their eyes like the barbs do.
DSCF2066.JPG

DSCF2065.JPG

DSCF2066.JPG DSCF2065.JPG

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Please help me. One of the barbs is totally blind now, and this is only getting worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store