What is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I just finished fighting off a horrid bacterial disease in my 55 gallon. I lost a lot of fish but I'm not adding anymore for a while. I want to make sure this stuff is gone.

I would wait at least 2 weeks before adding any new fish. The disease/parasite could still be in the water.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I was just ich, and some of them developed fungus. I have the tank temperature at 88F, and I'm still treating, and there are no more sources for it to drop from, it won't be able to survive. I am still giving it a few days justs to be careful, but I am confident that it is gone, or cannot survive at all.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I thought that once they dropped off, they became a cyst for 24 hours, then divided into 1024 new parasites, but need to attach to a fish within 24-48 hours? At the temperature my tank is, they can't even survive free swimming, let alone for a few days. Plus, I have the medication still going. I actually plan to add the fish in on Saturday, so just under a week.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
They do hatch out in the substrate, but they may not all hatch at the same time. It could be over a period of several days.

That's why vacuuming the substrate helps a good bit, by removing the cysts that lay on the bottom.

The minimum should be 4 days after the last speck drops off, and that's if you don't have the heat and salt resistant Ich protozoan, as I did have. My tank was going 87 to 88 degrees, with .3% salinity, which is 3 level teaspoons per gallon.

I personally would go 10 days past the last visible speck.

beatsland

AC Members
Nov 3, 2009
Florida Key's
Sorry about your loss, I lost several fish my self. Two days ago I did a massive water change 75% and started treatment with coppersafe and melafix. As of now the fish seem to be doing a lot beatter, my big Festivum is swiming around and looks a lot happier. He still has some white stuff on the tip of his fins butt overal looks better. I think they first got Ich and then Velvet since the white stuff looked less grainy the second time. Coppersafe treats for a full month so that should be enough time to kill the disease cycle. The tank is at 85 dgs, I keep you posted as the days go by...

beatsland

AC Members
Nov 3, 2009
Florida Key's
Coppersafe and Melafix have done it, my fish are back to normal. I will wait two more weeks before adding carbon to the filters to get rid of the meds. Coppersafe treats for month so it should get rid of any left overs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store