What is your #1 piece of Advice??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

ColleenT

AC Members
Sep 23, 2012
Lehigh Valley Pa
Real Name
Colleen Troiani
everyone has given the advice i would give- water changes, Cycling, take it slow. But i think Honesty is also best, if said with tact. people really do want to learn. they need to know that aggressive fish should not be with smaller shy fish, Etc... They need to learn from you so they don't lose fish. Thanks for being a great employee.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Honestly, the best thing you can do is inform the customers.
ask question. get a feel for their experiences and give them information. ultimately the goal of the store is to make sales..but also to keep the customers Happy.
cycling is key to new tanks... there are additives you can add to the sale to help get the cycle going.. I know a lot of folks here don't trust ot believe in them but some of them do work well. again .. information is your best tool..
not sure how the company feel about giving away media from an established tank(gravel) but this houses the bacteria they will need to jump start their tank..

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
1. Cycle tank properly.
2. Buy at least test kits for Amm. Nitrite. Nitrate. Ph.
3. Good conditioner for water changes (Prime)
4. Research fish beforehand. Size. Tankmates. Temperature, etc.
5. Water changes every week (with water of same temperature, etc).
6. Don't overstock the tank.
7. Quarantine all new fish purchases (quarantine tank) before placing in your display tank. Ask to watch fish eat at the store before you purchase them. If they don't accept food, don't buy them.
8. Acclimate fish properly.
9. Variety of foods.
10. Be patient.

Sorry, but there wasn't just one thing so I listed the most important top 10 things I could think of.

dtn23

AC Members
Aug 1, 2012
READ READ READ! That's my biggest regret is that I didn't do proper research before delving into the hobby. If people come in and are obviously clueless about fishkeeping, tell them you strongly advise some research before making any purchases. Direct them to a site like this one are tell them to at least Google two things: cycling an aquarium and stocking limits. Recommend aqadvisor? I personally wouldn't sell any livestock to someone who couldn't explain the nitrogen cycle and its 3 main factors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store