What is your preferred method of treating Ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which is your preferred method for treating Ich A.K.A White Spot

• NaCl A.K.A Table Salt

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Ich Meds (Aquari-Sol, QuICK Cure, etc..)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Organic Meds (Kordon's Ich Attack etc..)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • MgSO4 A.K.A Epsom Salt (didn't think you could use this but i'm hearing different lately)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magical Fairy Dust

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Other method(s) not listed above

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
I would vote for salt, heat and water changes.
Christonator, thanks for posting, I really do appreciate it :thm:. However make sure you actually vote on the poll as well, it makes it a lot easier for me to track the results.

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
I use Aquasol...easy to use, doesn't stain tank, never failed me.
Hey londonloco, I've used Aquarisol (& QuICK Cure) before too but it stained my airline tubing & silicone sealant bluish/green. However I was treating a 29g tank with no plants in it.

Was the tank you were treating planted or not & what size tank was it? I'm just wondering if tank size (concentration) & whether or not having plants in the tank plays into whether or not malachite green (the ingredient in Aquarisol responsible for staining) will stain.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Never had Aquari-sol stain my tank. I've used it on a 75 gallon and a 26 gallon bow. I googled it's ingredients, I could only come up with Copper Salts. On the AP website here:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Quickcure.html

it states:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Excellent for use in freshwater quarantine tank for new fish, especially when combined with Methylene Blue (bare tank with sponge filter and no gravel is best)

Where did you read it contains Malachite Green?

[/FONT]

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Never had Aquari-sol stain my tank. I've used it on a 75 gallon and a 26 gallon bow. I googled it's ingredients, I could only come up with Copper Salts. On the AP website here:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Quickcure.html

it states:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Excellent for use in freshwater quarantine tank for new fish, especially when combined with Methylene Blue (bare tank with sponge filter and no gravel is best)

Where did you read it contains Malachite Green?

[/FONT]
Hey londonloco - I didn't read that it contains Malachite Green, I'm confusing the two products (Aquarisol & QuICK Cure), my mistake. QuICK Cure contains Malachite Green & formalin. To be honest I never used Aquarisol, at least not the Aquarisol I see in those pics on that website. However a while back (5 years +) AP use to make a product called either Aquasol or Aquarisol & it came in packaging very similar to QuICK Cure & it was blue in color (like QuICK Cure), its' purpose was for treating ich, & yes it did stain stuff greenish/blue. I wish i had a bottle of it around but unfortunately I don't. All I have is a bottle of QuICK Cure (an expired one at that).
I wonder if they just renamed the stuff to QuICK Cure later on or if it's a different product all together, but I'm absolutely sure that what I used then was named either Aquarisol or Aquasol.

Years later, I needed to use an Ich med again & that's when I picked up a bottle of QuICK Cure. I remember thinking "this looks like the stuff I have a home (my empty bottle of "Aquasol") but with a different name", it did the same thing (treat ich) so I bought it (thus why I have an expired bottle with me now).

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
OK OK whoever voted for "Magical Fairy Dust" had better make a post too! :rofl:You just can't vote for something like that & not follow up with a post!

Was the dust made of crushed unicorn horn or ground up mermaid scales etc? And can it be used to get rid of other things besides Ich, like unwanted body hair on humans?

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
My preferred option is not to bring it into my tanks.
Proper quarantine (minimum 30 days) in regularly bottom siphoned, bare bottom tanks is a sure way of not passing it on to your display or breeder tanks.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i've had very good results with Ich Guard, and would use that in the future if i didn't have any scale-less fish to worry about (only three of my fish are scaleless and are all in the same tank).

i quarantine for over a month, and am very picky about where i get new fish from, so it is very rare that i get a case of ich at home. once with a female betta in my first few months of fish keeping, and once again early this year with some petsmart rainbows and a petsmart betta.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Proper quarantine (minimum 30 days) in regularly bottom siphoned, bare bottom tanks is a sure way of not passing it on to your display or breeder tanks.
..yeah in a perfect world^_^

I voted for salt and heat...never fails ...its cheap..it works and i always have it around.

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Yeah I'd say that not bringing it into their tanks to begin with would be most hobbyists' preferred method. And your suggestion of a properly set up quarantine tank & implementing an adequate observation/quarantine period is valid & should be practiced more regularly by hobbyists than it probably is now.

However while quarantining new stock for 30 days minimum curbs Ich from your breeding & display tanks it doesn't address those times when the stock you are quarantining display signs of Ich infestation. What is your preferred method for treating Ich on those occasions when your quarantined stock are infected with Ich?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store