What May be the Cause of this Algae??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright. Can I just use normal aquarium salt then just for this 2 gallons of water. I have plenty of the trace elements and such though in the water column because if you think about it I have 18 gallons worth of the trace elements and 2 gallons with none. Actually this sea salt is from france and is quite old haha and it says this salt does not supply iodide, a necessary nutrient. Still not suitable right?

Thanks.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Aquarium salt is used as a medicine and is not a marine salt, can be used in conjunction with other medicines to increase efficiency, or can be used on its own as a general tonic. Certain fish such as live bearers benefit from additions of salt.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
yes the type for cooking. I just need a wee bit just enough to get like 1.025 or so for 2.5 gallons. Not much, but since I need to put more water in because I am doing a water change.

NO.....DO NOT USE THIS SALT...Go out and buy some proper salt.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
alright. Can I just use normal aquarium salt then just for this 2 gallons of water. I have plenty of the trace elements and such though in the water column because if you think about it I have 18 gallons worth of the trace elements and 2 gallons with none. Actually this sea salt is from france and is quite old haha and it says this salt does not supply iodide, a necessary nutrient. Still not suitable right?

Thanks.
No, its not suitable at all mate. You need to use proper marine aquarium salt which has trace elements in there. Yes, you do have "some" trace elements in your water column, but they will be getting depleted and will need replenishing...Please only use the correct salt, for your tanks sake....

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
No, its not suitable at all mate. You need to use proper marine aquarium salt which has trace elements in there. Yes, you do have "some" trace elements in your water column, but they will be getting depleted and will need replenishing...Please only use the correct salt, for your tanks sake....
Fully agree with this statment

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I haven't got to it yet =/ I will do it though, I would really like to. When I started my fresh tank I got like 3 books from the library. I will try and go tomorrow.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You really need to. Questions are fine but we each need to be responsible for researching the answers we receive as well as setting a good foundation so we can better decide to consider or not consider the advice we receive.

By the way, gourmet sea salt is not cheap. I'm thinking a water change with it would be cost prohibitive, let alone bad.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright, yeah I just filled in as much water as I had oceanic sea salt for and today I will go get more salt and mix it in with the distilled water so that eventually my phosphates may go down over time with distilled water changes. Is it normal to have this algae in the first month of the tank being set up, that's what i have been reading.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store