What May be the Cause of this Algae??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I would agree that it is often better than tap water but I have reasons for why such as phosphates. But why would it be just as good as RODI? Did your sources explain it or just make a statement?
Yes, my reasons are also phosphate and in addition nitrate. That is what is most likely feeding the algae and also I have gotten responses that it should go away with time (the algae). As to why it would be better, I don't know, I have just read arguments about it being as good.

Thanks!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
yeah you're right on that. Thanks and we'll see how it goes and I'll keep you updated.

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Actually Wallmart (and many other food markets) sell something called "Drinking Water" if you read the fine print it is made by the RO process. It's the same price as distilled and thats what i've been using until I get that RO/DI unit for Christmas.. :)

But if given the choice I would never use distilled water for a fish tank... Distilled water is 100% pure water.. No minerals, or anything else that is in every water source in the world.. You also have to worry about Copper, which some manufactures use in there disitlling process (copper tubing etc). And since RO water costs the same at most stores that carry it, why not just go with that? :)

But before putting any water in your tank from an outside source, i'd still make sure you test it heavy metals and the like before using it and the treat it. I always test mine before putting it into my tank, and it's been working great for me.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So I have an update on my water parameters. By the way, for all of you who told me to get rid of the mono, I took him back today. Do you think that a medium size percula clown fish, about 1.5 inches in length should be fine with my almost 1.5 in yellow tail damsel? Any ways, my water params, which I just tested and got tested are as follows: Salinity: 1.024
pH: 8.3
Phosphates: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3

Do any of you still have any idea what could be the cause of this algae? It seems to be diatoms and my very well informed LFS owner told me that these are usual in the beginning and that after some months it should start to go away. What do you guys say?

Thanks

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
So I have an update on my water parameters. By the way, for all of you who told me to get rid of the mono, I took him back today. Do you think that a medium size percula clown fish, about 1.5 inches in length should be fine with my almost 1.5 in yellow tail damsel? Any ways, my water params, which I just tested and got tested are as follows: Salinity: 1.024
pH: 8.3
Phosphates: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3

Do any of you still have any idea what could be the cause of this algae? It seems to be diatoms and my very well informed LFS owner told me that these are usual in the beginning and that after some months it should start to go away. What do you guys say?

Thanks
I would agree, diatoms are all very common in any new marine aquarium, nothing to worry about, just bear with it...

Niko

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
how long do you guys expect it to be present about?

Thanks

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
It is different in every tank.. Mine took almost 4 weeks to clear up but then I'm not sure if it wasn't in part to my heavy feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store