What on earth....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TMDragon

AC Members
Feb 24, 2008
Southern California
Genetic mutations in humans are different than fish that are bred for the mutations which are then used for profit.
No one said these fish were bred like this on purpose, and honestly, after seeing the reactions from everyone who has seen these fish, I don't think they would want to anyway as most people probably would not buy it. Vendors and breeders from Asia on MFK find this disgusting as well. Also, even though these fish were posted a lot on MFK, so far, no one seems to know what condition caused the fish to turn out like this, not even the vendors, which leads me to believe it doesn't happen too often. Since there's not too many of these specimens floating around (since only these 2 specimens keep popping up over and over) and I've never seen one for sale, I'm gonna give these breeders the benefit of the doubt and say that it's just a random genetic mutation and they keep it alive as they seem to be doing fine. The mutation might be irritating the fish, who knows, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's suffering without proper evidence.

We have skin mutations in humans that are very rare, like the bubble man or the tree man, which are also very unpleasant to look at, but the people with these conditions do not seem to be physically bothered by their condition so I'm assuming this is the same. These are just my views on the matter nonetheless.

Last edited:

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I don't think it is any worse than the things that have been done to goldfish and koi. They've been selectively breeding for these types of mutations for hundreds of years. Personally I find all fancy breeds quite disgusting (fantail, lionhead, telescopic eyes, etc...)

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Personal opinions aside, these fish are certainly rare, which makes them valuable in that sense. They are obviously not that terribly affected or else they wouldn't have made it so far in terms of size/growth. Don't forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what V finds abhorrent, I see as the highest epitome of the art and science of goldfish breeding. Not many of us can look into our tanks and say none of our fish have been enhanced or mutated in any way, and our aquariums are certainly not nature, so the same rules need not apply. EBJD are known to be notoriously weak, but since their mutation is pretty or beautiful it's somehow more acceptable? How many of us think that a delta guppy or a crowntail betta are freakish?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Personal opinions aside, these fish are certainly rare, which makes them valuable in that sense. They are obviously not that terribly affected or else they wouldn't have made it so far in terms of size/growth. Don't forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what V finds abhorrent, I see as the highest epitome of the art and science of goldfish breeding. Not many of us can look into our tanks and say none of our fish have been enhanced or mutated in any way, and our aquariums are certainly not nature, so the same rules need not apply. EBJD are known to be notoriously weak, but since their mutation is pretty or beautiful it's somehow more acceptable? How many of us think that a delta guppy or a crowntail betta are freakish?

quoted for truth.

i don't like them, i think theyre ugly and you would never find one in my tank...

i prefer natural species as much as possible, but as long as the fish aren't suffering (and so far, i see no proof that they are, just everyone speculating as such), to each their own.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Excellent point. I think that what got me the most is the appearance of having its scales/flesh bubbling/boiling off of its face. I suppose its like meeting a person with a horribly disfiguring scar. Beneath it all, they're still a person, and of course you would want to make them feel as such. Its merely something we don't see very often, so it becomes difficult to not pay any attention to it. I can't help but to feel bad for someone like that, be it human, fish, cat, dog, cow, bird, etc.

Really goes to show that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I myself have a fish which is disfigured (severe curvature of its spine) but I love the little guy. I even gave him the affectionate name "quasimodo." :p:

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
I am not defending this but you all have seen similar growths on gold fish from celestial eye gold fish to Red Cap Orandas these fish all have tumorous growths and have been selectively bread that way for years for just that trait. They would never have survived in the wild. To just call for a fish that seems very health other than the odd growth to be put down, Just isn't right.

INKa4040 has it right beauty is in the eye of the beholder

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
I am not defending this but you all have seen similar growths on gold fish from celestial eye gold fish to Red Cap Orandas these fish all have tumorous growths and have been selectively bread that way for years for just that trait. They would never have survived in the wild. To just call for a fish that seems very health other than the odd growth to be put down, Just isn't right.

INKa4040 has it right beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Exactly why I don't own those kind of goldfish. Nothing against 'em, just don't personally enjoy the way they look. I'm much happier with my discus. :D

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I am not defending this but you all have seen similar growths on gold fish from celestial eye gold fish to Red Cap Orandas these fish all have tumorous growths and have been selectively bread that way for years for just that trait.
The very thing that may have signed their death notice in the wild is exactly why they were kept by people though... So in a way, their mutations helped them survive when put into the right context. I enjoy fancy goldfish very much, from ryukin to ranchu, and everything in between. Are they for everyone? Certainly not, but for those who can appreciate the work that went into creating them, and the work that goes into keeping them in top form, who's to say we are doing something wrong?

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
that thing gives me the willies......

To each his own.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Don't get it wrong, neither of those fish are the least bit appealing imo, but for me to jump on the hate train would be more than a little bit hypocritical. Easier not to draw a line than to dance all over it without realizing :lipssealedsmilie:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store