What on earth....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
What people find beautiful creates the selection bias during breeding. If these mutations are stable there will be more and more of them popping up as time goes on in many different species. Whenever humans find a species appealing or useful we just can't help but tinker with their genes.

I probably tinker with genes more than most as a Cucumis melo breeder. Yesterday I spent a few hours out making selections of F2's and verifying some crosses. Tomorrow I'll be looking at F3's-F5's and maybe evaluation some F1 hybrids. As my job is to make an organism better adapted to many different environments, I reject many different unique mutations because they are deleterious to it's fitness. When I look at fancy goldfish all I can think is they will be "somebodies lunch" at a very early age. I also don't like the long finned very slow moving bettas for the same reason. Now the wild type of betta... I want one of those.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store