What readily available fish would you add to this tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
My days of next day airing fish across the US are over, so I'm looking for something readily available to add to the tank. Preferably a mid to upper water swimmer.

My current setup:

125g (72x18)
Filter 1: FX5
Filter 2: Aquatop CF-500UV
Duckweed / Red Lillies

Stocking:
9 clown loaches under 3"
10 australian rainbows 2.5" - 4"
3 rubber lip plecos 2.5"
1 pictus catfish 3"
1 syno hybrid 4"
1 hoplo catfish 5.5"
1 golden dojo 2.5"
1 dwarf guorami

Most of the fish stay small, the clowns will take ages to grow. What fish would you add that has an adult size of 5-10"? Not really looking for cichlids as I don't want to stress the clowns, they are the focal point of the tank.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I know you said you don't want cichlids but severums IME are super peaceful and get large. I have rainbows as well and cories that are all left alone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It'll be hard for anyone not local to know what's locally available. Have you considered googling for aquarium fish for sale in your zip code? That could get you some results that you could further research, or at least get you pointed at a LFS that'll have more information for you.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Unfortunately it's primarily big box fish stores.. petsmart, petco, petland, etc.. There are a few smaller stores but nothing really that local.

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
Any LFS you have can make just about any fish you want "readily available" by adding them to their weekly order - just because the may not keep a particular species in their store at all times does not mean they won't get them in for you (in fact, it is to their benefit to special order because they haven't got the overhad of maintaining the stock at all times but still get the sale)

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Any LFS you have can make just about any fish you want "readily available" by adding them to their weekly order - just because the may not keep a particular species in their store at all times does not mean they won't get them in for you (in fact, it is to their benefit to special order because they haven't got the overhad of maintaining the stock at all times but still get the sale)
In theory yes.. I've tried for years and they say they will but they don't. I've tried every LFS within an hour.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Unfortunately it's primarily big box fish stores.. petsmart, petco, petland, etc.. There are a few smaller stores but nothing really that local.
Go to a bait store and get a few Golden Shiners.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
A school of silver dollars?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I think I'm going to go with the Severum suggestion. In my 125 would 3 or 4 work better? If I can't get them local I found a place that will ship them for a reasonable price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store