What these fish act like...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I like the initial idea, but as liv2padl well denotes, too many variables in each situation/experience, to make the data conclusive and applicable to all.

An example would be like having an experience of lonely sad cory in a 10 gal tank that very rarely moved. Just ate and sat around. (a recent thread post).

Or my cories are a riot! I have 4 groups of 6 in a 75, and they are constantly entertaining and exploring.

jessiej83

Frog on a Hog
May 23, 2006
I thought I would make a thread where you write down all your experiences you have had with different kinds of freshwater fish so people looking to study up on fish have a little “explanation” of what the fish is like from an experienced owner and from different points of views. Write down all the fish you have had experiences with, or as much as you can remember ;)
P.S. Do not write down any info you saw on other sites, only write down YOUR EXPERIENCES with the fish you’ve “owned”.

I have a huge list I have written that I will post shortly.
It may not be popular opinion but I think this is a great idea!:)
I have seen countless posts where people are asking " Does anyone have experience in keeping this ??"

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
I have seen countless posts where people are asking " Does anyone have experience in keeping this ??"
that's my point. their experience may not be your experience for reasons i've listed and more .. and to assume the same behaviour just because you've got the same species is a potential problem for you.

far better to ask about a species and give the history and other occupants of the tank, the tank size, your water chemistry and etc. etc. etc. if you expect to get any answers that are meaningful.

sandyB

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Worcester, MA
I think this is a great idea!:dance2: I, too, had a chinese algae eater that killed my fish. When I asked at the pet store, they said they were very peaceful. Peaceful indead!!!:mad2: Also, sites stated they were peaceful...wrong. I had them in two tanks and both caused problems. I am VERY interested in hearing others' experiences. I don't know why other people object to those that are interested in viewing others' experiences. :huh:
I am too busy right now to list my other experiences with fish but will do so when I get a chance. Hopefully, this will interest some and not aggrevate others.:)

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I don't know who told you that chinese algae eaters were peaceful but in reality they are a real terror in the tank and that is what I tell people who inquire about them when I am at work. I do not know why they are even called algae eaters because they do not do a good job on algae and as they get older they get lazier and start to harass other fish and suck the slime coat off of them especially flatsided fish such as discus and angels. Even thou I tell customers this they buy them anyways and of course they have problems with them. I don't know why people don't listen. They only hear what they want to hear. I for one will never put another chinese algae eater in any of my tanks.

Marinemom

SoBlonde

Say hello to my little friend....
Feb 28, 2007
Got snow?
Thank you people who think a like me :) I think this is a great idea as well. If you dont agree with it, fine, don't pay attention to this thread. No reason to bang it all up and start a fight.

SoBlonde

Say hello to my little friend....
Feb 28, 2007
Got snow?
Everyone has their different experiences, and different experiences help a lot. Everyone has different experiences because we all get different fishes.

jessiej83

Frog on a Hog
May 23, 2006
that's my point. their experience may not be your experience for reasons i've listed and more .. and to assume the same behaviour just because you've got the same species is a potential problem for you.

far better to ask about a species and give the history and other occupants of the tank, the tank size, your water chemistry and etc. etc. etc. if you expect to get any answers that are meaningful.
That's why when someone posts their experience with a certain fish they also need to post what they were kept in, what with, etc.
first hand experience is important whether it be good or bad.

OneLady

AC Members
May 23, 2006
I guess I am one of the lucky one who has peaceful chinese algae eaters. I have one that was raised with mbunas while I was waiting on my 125 gallon to get ready. I had it in a 26 gallon, with 6 juvenile assorted cichlids. They had been in the 26 gallon a couple of months and the CAE just did his own thing cleaning everything in sight and never seemed to pay attention to the cichlids. Then I moved the 6 cichlids and the CAE to the 125 gallon tank as a trial before I moved my full grown cichlids in there. It was so cute the 6 cichlids and the CAE swam up and down the length of the tank and where ever the cichlids went so did the CAE, it was like they were best of friends. I have had such a great experience with this one that is now 6", I bought 7 more, which are now about 3". I have never seen any agression out of the largest one, maybe it is because of the agressive mbunas, he doesn't think he stands a chance. I hope I have as good of an experience with the little ones as they grow up. I am glad to know of the possible agression so I can watch for it.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I like the idea but I believe a forum is not the place for it. There are also widely varying opinions on fish and widely varying experiances as well not to mention numerous variables. I have had very bad luck with Neon Tetras but many have had great success. So who do you listen to? I'm not really sure what you expect but good luck.

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store