What to do with my new BN eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jessicaftw

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Jessica
I don't have a cover on the fluval intake, but my husband is a master at cutting and carving sponges to cover them, that's how I cover my filters in all other tanks so the shrimp don't explore too much (lol).

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Great, get hubby to make a filter intake cover and you'll be fine. After they hatch, they won't move around too much, they'll absorb their eggs sacks so it'll be close to a week after hatching before they'll go looking for food.

Jessicaftw

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks! He cut one out last night, put it on. Some of the eggs have turned white/translucent and most are still yellow.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I am pretty sure the white eggs are sick, and they should be moved asap as to not infect the other fertile eggs.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Please leave the BN eggs alone. They are not like other eggs that are deposited singly. They are all attached as a mass. The infertile ones will not harm the ones that will be hatching. Dad takes care of it all! He will start to eat the infertile ones away.

Jessicaftw

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Jessica
The white ones were moldy and ended up spreading, I was able to remove all the decent ones and some of them hatched this morning.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Hopefully the new hatches are ok. So close to hatching is a very fragile time for those fry. Fiddling around with the egg mass can force some of them to hatch too quickly. Good luck with the babies and pics when you can!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Deb's right on with the info.
I just let Dad do his thing.. I now have a ton of babies in my 55..matter of fact nearly all my tanks now have bn's

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store