What to feed baby bettas when they arrive?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
I can't get any infusoria or BBS right now so is there any other thing I can feed the baies when they get here? Like boiling an egg and uing the yolk?:hypnotized:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
you can use the egg, but it makes one heck of a mess and you'll be doing more water changes than are ideally necessary.

microworms are a great first food for bettas, but you want to get a hold of your culture at least a few days before the bettas hatch out of the eggs, and split it into at least two containers (preferably three), so that if one culture crashes you aren't left with none.

i've read about some breeders using hikari 'first bites'. you might try picking some of that up too.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
you can use the egg, but it makes one heck of a mess and you'll be doing more water changes than are ideally necessary.

microworms are a great first food for bettas, but you want to get a hold of your culture at least a few days before the bettas hatch out of the eggs, and split it into at least two containers (preferably three), so that if one culture crashes you aren't left with none.

i've read about some breeders using hikari 'first bites'. you might try picking some of that up too.
where can I get hikari First bites?

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
Its been while since ive raised bettas but i feed them microworms and hikari first bites like BFM said. You can take the male out once they are free swimming, unless he tries to eat them, then remove him immediately.

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
Oh i forgot, you can get hikari first bites from most of your lfs. I get mine from jack's pets, you may not have one around you thow.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
I was looking at petsupermarket, not the best sore, and they have it! This is my first time raising betta fry and I want all of them to survive!

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
Maroxy is a must, without it your eggs will develop a fungus and die.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Maroxy is a must, without it your eggs will develop a fungus and die.
not necessarily true. i have read about breeders that use nothing but good clean dechlorinated water.

the dad betta, if he is doing his job properly, will fan the eggs with his fins to keep the water flowing around them and that should keep fungus at bay.

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
not necessarily true. i have read about breeders that use nothing but good clean dechlorinated water.

the dad betta, if he is doing his job properly, will fan the eggs with his fins to keep the water flowing around them and that should keep fungus at bay.
yeah, but that is tough to accomplish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store