What to put in my 10 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I disagree on the substrate issue. I personally do not think a tank looks natural with no substrate. No matter how much is going on and how small the tank is the matter is resolved in 5 minutes with a python to clean the substrate. You will have to clean the tank bottom substrate or no. And water changes need to be once to twice a week of at least 50%. The smaller the tank the easier it is to pollute. It is only a 10 gallon, water changes are a piece of cake. I do a 100 gallon tank 3 times a week along with 10 other tanks.

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
No issue, just what I did with this particular tank and it works pretty well. As long as you are happy with your set up, and your fish are thriving, then all is ok.

When it comes to cleaning up, I like the bare bottom because I can see where the detris is building up and suck it up without moving alot of stuff around.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i disagree with any type of pleco in this size tank. also mollies and tiger barbs need larger tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mLindsey97

AC Members
Jun 1, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Lindsey McHenry
Wow... This is getting a bit confusing... I have no clue what I'm doing now =P I'm gonna do a lot more research! I wish i could find a 20 gallon tank for a decent price! That would fix a lot of things =/

Last edited:

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
Don't let it all overwhelm you, we are all just trying to give you some suggestions of things that have worked for us and our opinions on things that may or may not work.

Do your research on the kind fish that you are interested in, see how big they get and if they are compatible in a community set up, and if they will work in a 10g set up.

Set your tank up for them and slowly add others to fill in to your liking, you will probably go thru a couple off different types of fish until you find something that really trips your trigger, just have some fun with it.

Gl
Daniel

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I want to stress this information as much as possible. Tetra Safe Start is the only cycling product that I, or anyone else I know, has tried that works. It is a little expensive, so if you don't want to use it, cycle your tank the old fashioned way, with plenty of daily water changes.
I think that you will find many people who will say that Dr Tim's also works.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
If your looking for a few different kinds of fish that are peaceful and really colorful I suggest maybe Lampeye tetras? They aren't outragiously colourful but their eyes are as you would suspect really bright and eye-catching aha. I think a shoal of them with maybe some inverts would look nice :D

Also, I feel having a substrate would definetly help you. For one you can then get plants and other decorations and create an awesome habitat for your fish to live in, and secondly because it makes the fish a lot more peaceful! Plus its only ten gallons, water changes etc are easy ;D

Last edited:

Anniegump

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
mLindseyWow...
This is getting a bit confusing... I have no clue what I'm doing now =P I'm gonna do a lot more research! I wish i could find a 20 gallon tank for a decent price! That would fix a lot of things

It does sound confusing don't it? :) But once you read up on fish and maybe get a good book it will come to you. Lots of good web sites out there too for information.

Anniegump

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
I disagree on the substrate issue. I personally do not think a tank looks natural with no substrate. No matter how much is going on and how small the tank is the matter is resolved in 5 minutes with a python to clean the substrate. You will have to clean the tank bottom substrate or no. And water changes need to be once to twice a week of at least 50%. The smaller the tank the easier it is to pollute. It is only a 10 gallon, water changes are a piece of cake. I do a 100 gallon tank 3 times a week along with 10 other tanks.
Why do you do water changes 3 times a week?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store