What type of cichlid is this?! :o I JUST got him, and am clueless!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if the person you bought these africans from doesn't know the species and got them from a big box store then they very well could be hybrids. some big box pet/fish stores sell the 'mixed african cichlids' and that is exactly what they are, mixed hybrids.

if you do sell/rehome the africans, please be sure to inform the buyer that they are not pure species and should not be bred or redistributed in the aquatic hobby.

stoneyredneck

AC Members
Apr 22, 2011
Pretty little female JD you got there. My female JD has always had 2 or 3 africans in the tank with her. You will have a lot of people tell you not to mix these fish and as a general rule they are probably correct, but you never know until you see how your particular fishies react. Right now they are all little, so you have soem of time, before any troubles may arise.

I agree with FishBettaMommy, I prefer the American species, more than the Africans. They have better personalities IME. They do not compare color wise to Africans though, so if you are looking for color you may want to go the African route.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store