what type of snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
oh, just wanted to add NEVER feed Malaysian trumpet snails to puffers (or most fish). Their shells are extremely tough and can break a puffers' teeth, leading to a painful slow death :(

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
plah831 said:
I know, honey. That's why common names are confusing. Scientific names eliminate all confusion. That's all I can tell ya :) Sorry for making you feel dumb, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to put info out there for anyone who might read this, not to make you feel bad.
I know.. I was tired when I posted that.. i didn't mean it that way, sorry again. wish i could edit it....

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
oh, I wasn't directing that at your post at all. I just remembered that since MTS were mentioned, maybe someone would try to feed them to their fishies. Again, just general info to anyone who might see this thread :)

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
plah831 said:
oh, I wasn't directing that at your post at all. I just remembered that since MTS were mentioned, maybe someone would try to feed them to their fishies. Again, just general info to anyone who might see this thread :)
I know.... I was just apologizing for my rude post :)

AsaPW

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Lafayette,LA
loaches r cool said:
I have a snail tank for the puffers with comon pond snails but they didnt seem to reproduce nearly as fast enough as I'd like. I added a single ramshorn - I havent actually ID'd em but they are reddish brown with spots. Within a couple weeks of putting a lone snail in I saw dozens of little baby snails. After about a month these new ramshorn snails took over the tank. They get big real quick, much quicker than the pond snails did. Now I really have to look hard to find a single pond snail and sometimes I cant even find any. I havent done anything special for the snails, the tank is a 20G tank that has lots of plants and guppies and thats it (no filter, heater, air pump... no nothing other than light over it). I dont even change the water other than topping it off every other month or so. its my low tech / no maintenence feeder tank. I am not a snail expert and was going to research into how to better keep them until the ramshorn came along and no longer have a problem keeping a large stock of them.
Cool! I'm going to have to start me a little feeder aquarium this weekend.

BTW, I'm going to indroduce myself when I have the time. Earlier, I spend about 15 minutes typing out what all I had and everything, and my computer crashed right when I hit reply! :sad:

m1ndy721

Registered Member
Dec 12, 2006
I have no idea where to get any of these snails. My freind has a rather large group of small snails I have yet been able to identifie. Petco has only large snails wich I think are probably to large for my puffer they also look like they have extremly hard shells. ANy suggestions on where you might get these?

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Go to a fish store and look through their plants. Buy the plant with the most little tiny snails on it. you also could order online, but these snails are considered pest snails so they are not sold in stores. Just buy a live plant and you get a lifetime supply of snails for free!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
If you dont feed them alot of snails you will eventually have to trim thier teeth manually which isnt too hard but better for both the fish and you to get em snails. My entire snail tank setup bought brand new tank and hood was like less than $30, but if you dont need to see into your tank you can use any old container like a rubbermaid tote.

if you fill in your location in your profile I am sure you can talk to someone local who would be more than willing to give you some starter snails. All it took was 1 ramshorn that started my entire colony.

Also if anyone you know has a goldfish pond outside there is usually plenty of pond snails in there. Heck look in a ditch or something ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store