what type of snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Shoot, if ya lived by me I could give you a whole dang colony of them. I dislike the ramshorns because they lay eggs all over the tank all the dang time. Drives me nuts!

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Everyone has said how fast 'plant' or 'pond' snails reproduce but since introducing ramshorn they have practically wiped out my pond snails, I no longer have to ration the snails to the puffers. I used a leftover 20g tank and hood combo. No other equipment in the tank (no filter, heater, etc, etc,) although I am thinking about putting a small filter on it. Its been setup like this for over a year. There are 4 different substrates (all leftover from other aquariums). I take plant suprlus out of my 75G and put in there, and guppies. Easy and cheap. I never said it was pretty though.

Dinner is served!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
dang that's a lotta snails.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I used the wrong term. They have both male and female organs and have been reported to be able to breed with themself. Either that or they can carry fertilized eggs. I am pretty sure it was one of these two options since I dropped the lone snail in myself (no plants, just a snail that came with some plants from another tank).

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Yea most everybody gets confused about that term so don't worry. :) Most likely it was carrying fertilized eggs because from what I have researched, only the most primitive organisms can fertilize themselves, and that snails don't fall into that category.

Irish563

AC Members
Oct 15, 2006
fballguy said:
Yea most everybody gets confused about that term so don't worry. :) Most likely it was carrying fertilized eggs because from what I have researched, only the most primitive organisms can fertilize themselves, and that snails don't fall into that category.
Soooo.....I will need more than one ramshorn snail to start a colony? Sorry, I guess im missing something....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store