What Works for Me May Not Work for You

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
-10% wc in 30gallon convict tank weekly
-50% we in 10gallon planted weekly
-Prefer sand to gravel
-Use Tetra Aquasafe Conditioner (Used it for years, why change)
-Super fine sand in 10gallon planted
-Use DIY co2 and dose ferts twice a week
-Leave fry in convict tank (they eat them after a month=no extra fry to rehome)
-Test water perams every two weeks in con tank, twice a week in planted tank
-Use HOB filters

Cole99v

SA Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2009
Tacoma
My only thing is I hardly test my water, and I only do water changes half as many times as everyone says you "have" to. Never had any problems and I only get drastic when I have a problem.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I've been using bottled well water for water changes. Which is highly unusual.
But I figured since I am already driving to my older fish, I might as well use the better water source. That way I can almost always rule out water quality problems.
It does mean that unusual circumstances requiring extra water changes will use up the water supply.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Awesome thread! Sometimes people get way too 'my way is right and everyone else's is wrong' on here. Especially when it comes to stocking!
In my case, I'm a bit of an overstocker.
I also am bad about getting fish, then trading the, back to the LFS. Since I have very limited space (only a 20 gal), my stock is always 'evolving'.

I Ate A Cake

AC Members
Nov 2, 2009
Colorado
I absolutely hate sand.

Shallow gravel, or even bare bottom is best.

I rarely test my water.

Driftwood helps everybody (I love it).

I swear by sponges that are cleaned and/or changed every week or biweekly.

A 2.5G is too small for any fish, SW or FW.

I don't name any fish.

I use HOB filters, and have never even thought about a UGF.

Fry = Survival of the fittest (when it comes to livebearers).

I feed once a day.

I have a red light where my tanks are (in my room), so when I stay up later, I don't bother the fish.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I use carbon, always have and always will. I haul buckets and love it. I do 5 gallon WC's-every 5 days on my 30, and every 2 days on my 55. I have an Oscar and a common Pleco in a 55. I dont have a quarantine tank.(If I did it would be my NEW tank within a week or two) I use gravel.(I think bare bottom tanks are ugly) I overfeed. I can honestly say I have never lost a fish yet.(except the CAE my Oscar ate and the Whiptail he bit the head off.)

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Also...

I wouldn't freak out if some one put a betta in a 1 gallon tank, as long as its filtered or heated.

I think every tank should have plants and real driftwood.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i'd shoot an oscar that killed my farlow... while it's still in the tank. then i'd leave and come back in 2 days and call my insurance company. :jaw-dropping:

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
i'd shoot an oscar that killed my farlow... while it's still in the tank. then i'd leave and come back in 2 days and call my insurance company. :jaw-dropping:
LOL!! ya I was bummed.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I rarely test my water
I use a bucket for water changes (I would love a python though)
I feed whenever. (Fish don't get fed at certain times of the day. They don't in the wild anyhow!)
I do 50-70% water changes weekly
I use fine play sand and didn't really have much of a problem with floating when putting it in (not the normal play sand, this stuff is fine)
I use an incandescent hood with compact florescent bulbs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store