what would be more economical

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

colematthewmala

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Three Hills, Alberta, Canada
I think it would be more economical to heat the tank. If you plan on having many tanks in that room heating the room may be wiser. :)

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Think of it like this. You want a tank at 76 degrees CONSTANT. How hot would a room have to be be to heat 25 gallons of water to 76 and keep it there?
Or, think about it like this, how long would it take to heat the room with a small aquarium heater? If your mind draws a picture of infinity--I am with you!

Well, I guess the heater could break, start the carpet on fire; and, the fire would get the room VERY WARM. <straight-face>

But, your logic is quite correct! :woot:

Regards,
TA

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Originally Posted by thesixis
I would heat the tank and I would cover the sides and bottom with rigid insulation.
Better yet, you could keep the aquarium in one large Styrofoam cooler or discarded Styrofoam packaging case, with a top!

Trouble is, you'd only save, what, 5 to 10 cents US a month? The ease in viewing the tank without the hassle/ulgy-ness is worth it, in my humble opinion.

To logic this out, electricity here is about 8.75 cents a kilowatt hour--that is, burning up 1,000 watts of electric power for one hour. To operate a 50w heater with, what, a 5% to 25% duty cycle (on-time percentage) for one month ... --oh, OK, let's say it is going to cost you a quarter (25 cents) for a month--just to allow for worst case scenario ... I still would not bother.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
TA

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I believe that if the room as 80 the tank would eventually stabilize at the same temp.
but it may not be the best/most efficient way of heating the tank.
it takes more energy to heat the water than to heat the room but once the temp was achieved the tank would hold the heat better than the air
heat loss in the room would make the heater/furnace in the house work hard to maintain the temp(unless the room was very very well insulate or if the the ambient temp of the air was warm.. I would say this would be more viable in the tropics.
you would still have to deal with how to 'cool' that tank if the air temp was too hot.
;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store