What's going on with this thing??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
So, if you're saying I CAN use my skimmer as the input line, then I would need to put a flow regulator or valve on the return line; then "tune" it for as consistent of a rate as possible.. Right?

This would also eliminate the need for an overflow box, wouldn't it? In the event of a power outage, "in" and "out" would both shut off...

So, the center chamber would just become a collection point to slow the water movement and heat; nothing else...

I appreciate the help, by the way. I'm absorbing as quickly as possible, so I can set this sump up in whichever manner I feel will both serve my needs and meet my budget (minimal)

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Uuughh...

I just finished doing a complete tank switch for my daughter's tank!! It was only from 10 to 20 gallons, but what a chore!!
At least her poor angelfish has room to move now...

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I don't think I've ever seen a cucumber that large in a home tank.
Glad you like him...
I was having some trouble getting him to open up, but once I started supplying some phytoplankton, he started opening daily...

He had a field day while I was pulling out coral... All that crap floating in the water; a true smorgasbord!!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Bah!!
They're so cute, and, well...

immobile!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Not ALL of them are deadly... And they usually just kill all the fish..
Yeah, that would suck too, I guess!

Of course, I'm unsure if mine is.. Hmmm...

New Reefer

AC Members
So, if you're saying I CAN use my skimmer as the input line, then I would need to put a flow regulator or valve on the return line; then "tune" it for as consistent of a rate as possible.. Right?
Yes. The best would be to add a "T" to the return line, and have a valve on the side of the "T" returning excess water directly back to the sump. You can use this to perhaps feed a carbon filter, fluidised bed phosphate filter, etc. or you could just re-circulate the excess water back to the sump.

Of course, as previously stated, the skimmer must be able to be used in this way. I doubt if any Beckett style skimmer would be suitable. Deltecs, Euroreef, and most other modern recirculating needlewheel skimmers would be suitable.

What make & model skimmer do you have?

This would also eliminate the need for an overflow box, wouldn't it? In the event of a power outage, "in" and "out" would both shut off...
No, you will still need the overflow box to safely run a syphon (if your tank is not drilled for an overlfow). Actually the ideal would be to have a wide "weir" overflow, where the surface water would just run over the weir on one side of the tank, and into an overflow box which then leads down to the skimmer through a down pipe. Unfortunately with your established tank it will not be feasible (or safe...) to try to cut/drill the glass whilst the tank is full, so you're basically stuck with having to use a syphon - and the syphon must be able to re-start automatically after a power out.

So, the center chamber would just become a collection point to slow the water movement and heat; nothing else...
You could place a deep sand bed and/or live rock in the center chamber - this would increase your bio-filtration capability. In addition, if you added a light or two above this chamber, you could create a refugium with some algae growing in/on the rock or sand. This refugium would not only increase the removal of excess nutrients such as nitrate and phosphate (by being taken up in the algae), it would also be a safe place for small critters (such as copepods) to live and multiply without predation. These critters would then be pumped to your tank via the return pump, and they will make an excellent, natural, food for your corals and fish.

Hennie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store