Whats the best way to introduce new cichlids into an agressive community?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Sure I can give you a list:
Red Devil
Jag
Green Terror
Convict
Dempsey

Jewel
Acei
Electric yellow
Cobalt Blue
Red Zebra
Albino Red zebra
New one marble cichlid? Cant remember what they called it.

Black Shark
Red Tail Black Shark
Leperinus

The 2 new africans were mid sized africans, I really cant go any smaller as they would become snacks for the central americans. I believe it was the other africans that offed one of the new ones today. Ive tried rearranging the decore, still a crapshoot when introducing new fish. Today I added 3 fish(1 con, 2 africans) and so far 2 are still alive, maybe I should have added 1 more to make an even 4? Like I said, the Con is doing really well, net even hiding, the other african is still hiding but doing well so far.

holy crap are these all in the same tank? :eek:

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...still a crapshoot when introducing new fish...
Hmm, may continue to be a crapshoot with that stock list. I'm not keen on the american cichlids as to whether they're all compatible or not, but perhaps setting up another tank to separate the african cichlids from the ca/sa cichilds will translate into greater success for the newly added fish.

Hope you have a huge tank! :eek:

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
holy crap are these all in the same tank? :eek:
Indeed!

Hmm, may continue to be a crapshoot with that stock list. I'm not keen on the american cichlids as to whether they're all compatible or not, but perhaps setting up another tank to separate the african cichlids from the ca/sa cichilds will translate into greater success for the newly added fish.

Hope you have a huge tank! :eek:
Unless the africans are small enough for the americans to swallow whole, the americans generally ignore the africans. Too small to bother with them I guess. Usually when introducing new fish, its african on african violence that usually kills the new fish. Like I said unless I accidentally put something in there that will fit into the american's mouths which I dont make that mistake anymore. My tank is large too.

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
guessing this is the 125g one.. after looking at your pictures you will probably need more hiding spaces to reduce the aggression..
Good call, indeed it is a 125. Havent ruled out making additional caves, I love that volcanic rock stuff, its great for making hiding spots for cichlids.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
Sure I can give you a list:
Red Devil
Jag
Green Terror
Convict
Dempsey

Jewel
Acei
Electric yellow
Cobalt Blue
Red Zebra
Albino Red zebra
New one marble cichlid? Cant remember what they called it.

Black Shark
Red Tail Black Shark
Leperinus

The 2 new africans were mid sized africans, I really cant go any smaller as they would become snacks for the central americans. I believe it was the other africans that offed one of the new ones today. Ive tried rearranging the decore, still a crapshoot when introducing new fish. Today I added 3 fish(1 con, 2 africans) and so far 2 are still alive, maybe I should have added 1 more to make an even 4? Like I said, the Con is doing really well, net even hiding, the other african is still hiding but doing well so far.
If this is a stock list for a 125 gallon, you might eventually end up with just the jag and/or red devil. Anything else in there will be at risk, especially the smaller fish like some of the mbunas.

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
If this is a stock list for a 125 gallon, you might eventually end up with just the jag and/or red devil. Anything else in there will be at risk, especially the smaller fish like some of the mbunas.
Ive had a lot of these fish for a long time, really the devil and jag ignore the africans. Sometimes they will bowl through them to get to food faster but they really just ignore them. The Labeo is without question a more agressive fish than anything else on that list. That Labeo gets on the Jaguar like mike tyson on chris rock sometimes, kinda scary.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
wow this site is so much different from mfk if you made this post on mfk members would be all over you!

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
wow this site is so much different from mfk if you made this post on mfk members would be all over you!
I post pretty much the same stuff over there, its nice to get all the info I can on whatever questions I have. Most of the guys over there are pretty cool, Ive actually found in most cases the guys over there to be less judgemental on average than some of the people here. While I appreciate the back and fourth Ive had with the other members here in this thread, I have taken consiterably more jabs in the past over here for my choice of community than over at MFK as a whole.:confused: Usually if I ask a question pertaining to mixing africans and americans over there they will advise me to the best of their ability while on this website Ill post the same thing the 1st reply I usually get is wtf are you thinking, all your fish are gonna be dead or something eluding to that only worded differently. On average of course. Again I appreciate the maturity thats being shown to me here on this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store